Sunday, September 7, 2008

Youth Alive Report

Last Thursday and Friday nights were our annual Youth Alive services. Our church has been hosting this for many years and it has grown and grown! Last year our building was so crowded that we had people sitting in the stairwell... what a mess, but a good problem! This year we rented the John Muir Middle School auditorium, with a seating capacity of approximately 750 we had planned to have room for everyone...

Thursday night the building was almost full and Friday night every seat was taken, with people standing in the lobby and outside!! It was unbelievable! We certainly expected to have a great crowd, but this surpassed all expectations!

And the preaching?? Oh yeah, the preaching! The guest speaker this year was not only one of my favorite preachers, but one of my favorite people! Elder Vaughn Morton!!! And he was awesome!

Thursday night, Elder Morton preached "Living a Lie". He talked about the life a hypocrite. His text was from Job chapter 20, verses 4 through 7. Verse 5 speaks of the joy of the hypocrite being for a moment. The message was awesome and God moved in a great way during the altar call.

Friday night, Elder Morton spoke of passing things on to the next generation. He told of elders in his life - Bro. Rhode, Bro. Terry, Bro. Ballestero, and others, that put a love for the truth in him. He then preached about "Revival and Evangelism". It was a powerful message. I heard many "old themes", things that I grew up hearing and loving. He also balanced the message by reminding us not to have a holier than thou attitude.

My favorite part was seeing hundreds of young people flooding the altar, seeking God, making new dedications, and renewing old ones! Being part of God's church is the greatest!!!

5 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

Oh yeah, my daughter was at that meeting. She told me all about the preacher, she thought he was awesome too! lol
Caroline

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sounds like a great meeting. You can't beat your speaker, that's for sure. Hope you will be posting some pictures. Love seeing young people stirred by the spirit of God.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Caroline,
I didn't see your daughter! Not a surprise with the crowd we had. Glad she enjoyed it.

Sis. Hopper,
I didn't take a camera! But I'll try to beg or borrow some to post here. It is wonderful seeing young people stirred. They're not all out of control like many would have us think!

Anonymous said...

Amen!! It was a fabulous meeting, and as I mentioned to Alicia, Bro. Morton's messages were right on target. Then I cracked up when Bro. Morton was trying to remember what he used to say because you just had posted that saying of his! "Love it, learn it, live it!" It was such a great time, this Youth Alive was overall AWESOME!! I can't wait until next year!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

I guarantee he did not forget "Learn It, Love It, and Live It" - he stopped like that to get everyone's attention! It was neat to hear it after I had just posted it.

Verse of the Day