Monday, September 1, 2008

Bible Study Report

Yesterday was our Celebration Sunday. We had approximately 20 new Home Bible Studies. Our goal was 30, but this is a great start - Pastor White said we have never had this many new ones at one time.

When I think about the importance of Home Bible Studies, I'm reminded of an Elder Morton saying, "The Bible: Learn It, Love It, and Live It."

I think we often get these steps out of order. A new person comes, repents, starts seeking after God, and we expect them to Live the Bible in a short time. How can they Live something they have never Learned? So many people do not have any knowledge of the word of God, or what they do know has been taught in error.

I've also known people that Learned the Bible, could quote verse after verse, but they never fell in Love with it, so they had a difficult time Living it!

It is definitely a life long process - Learn It, Love It, Live It!

6 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Excellent report. And your post was right on about our expectations for others. If we'd take more time to worry just about ourselves and less about getting everyone else "up to par", what works of His we would see in our midst.

Kathy McElhaney said...

I also chuckle when a preacher says, "We all know the story..."
More often than not, there is a visitor in the congregation who did not grow up going to Sunday school and they DON'T know the story!

Anonymous said...

Pastor White came up to us in the kitchen as we were cleaning up as he normally does to thank the ladies for the delicious meal. Then with a great big smile he told us what a fantastic turn out it turned out to be with new people, new bible studies -- he was so HAPPY. How true that we need to worry more about our own selves. I can say that it's so true that it takes a long time to learn God's ways as I came "out of the world," 17 years ago. I'm still learning...!

As you can see, it's been just a few days since I've read your blog!! Thank you for keeping it so inspirational, funny and interesting! :)

Kathy McElhaney said...

It was a truly great turn out - even though my Bible Study student didn't come! She had other plans.

I've missed your comments and it's taking me a while to respond to them all!

cMc said...

I've just discovered your blog and am thoroughly enjoying getting caught up! As I read this particular post, I could help but think of my brother when you spoke about not having it in the heart... Well, I love you and I'm so glad I have some connection to you through the blog world!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Hey Chris! I'm glad you found me!
It's a sad thing, but many Bible Quizzers don't get past the Learning of verses.
Love you too and I'll be checking in on your blog soon!

Verse of the Day