
Let us be contented with what has happened to us and thankful for all we have been spared.
- Mom's Bible
Wednesday arrived, and with it, my turn to ride Metrolink again. Since the crash last week, I have bravely stated "when it's my time to go, it's my time to go." But you know, I hoped it wasn't my time to go.
As I stood on the platform, awaiting train 118, I was greeted by the sight of numerous flowers and notes. One said, "with sympathy to all who lost loved ones." I also watched the faces of my fellow passengers. Many were stuck in Simi Valley on Friday evening, unable to ride the train home because of the disaster on the track.
When we boarded the train, the atmosphere was different. It was somber. People weren't chatting about their day or gabbing on cell phones like usual. The car I rode in was almost silent.
The train from Simi Valley goes through three tunnels to get to the San Fernando Valley. Immediately after coming out of the tunnels, we arrived at the crash site. The train slowed almost to a stop. The clean up crews had done their work, but we all knew where we were. There was a civil engineer checking our progress and two sheriff vehicles were parked to the side.
Again, I watched my fellow riders. Each one had fallen completely silent, and they were all staring out the windows. I bowed my head in prayer for each of them, hoping at some point I'll be the witness they need.
After church on Wednesday night, I found out that Stephanie Benavente from our church attended high school with one of the victims. He was her class valedictorian, and now at age 20 is dead.
Yes, I'm thankful for what I've been spared, but I also know Psalm 31:15 "My times are in thy hands."

This photo is from LA police officer Spree DeSha's funeral. Officer DeSha was killed last Friday. The photo shows her badge bent from the crash.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness. One of my colleagues told me that the middle car of the train she takes home to Lancaster is at standing room only because people refuse to ride in the first and last cars of the train. Another horrible tragedy where lives were taken just like that. My boss told me just the other day that she didn't want me taking the train any more because she didn't want me to die. I happened to tell her just that, "when it's your time, it's your time." You said it so perfectly, it's really when it's God's time....
It must be so hard to try to live in peace when you don't have peace about eternity. Crashes like these draw a lot more attention, but people die everyday on our freeways.
Our times really are in His hands.
Our newspaper had pictures of the officer's funeral. There was one where her mother released the dove. It was such a touching picture. Also, I loved the quote from your mom's Bible.
As you know, there aren't many things harder in life than burying your own child.
I know I was spared from the train crash, but only God knows what else He has spared me from.
Post a Comment