Last Sunday we had a potluck after church to celebrate the White's Pastoral Anniversary. The theme was Mexican food. I knew I would need to make my main dish Saturday night - we had choir Sunday afternoon which meant I would be home about two hours between services. I wanted to fix something that would taste good and not dry out if it was reheated. Grandma Ruby's Tamale Pie recipe to the rescue! There are lots of Tamale Pie recipes out there, but here's mine:
Tamale Pie
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 15 oz, can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
1 15 oz. can sliced olives, drained
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 cup corn meal
1 cup milk (I used Soymilk, of course!)
1/2 cup Egg beaters
1 cup shredded WW Mexican cheese
1. Saute onion in olive oil until lightly browned. Add ground beef, cook completely. Drain any grease.
2. Add tomatoes, corn, olives, tomato sauce, salt and chili powder.
3. Mix cornmeal, milk and egg beaters until smooth. Add to other ingredients and simmer about 10 minutes.
4. Pour in casserole pan, bake for 1 hour at 350.
5. Top with cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes until melted.
On Saturday night I went to step 4, but did not bake. I took the tamale pie to church with me on Sunday and had the ladies that were doing all the work in the kitchen bake it for me. (Thanks, Sis. Nancy!) Sorry, no picture.
This turned out really good! I tried this recipe once before, but did not have tomato sauce listed so it turned out extremely dry and grainy. It was just right this time!
Nutritional info: 220 calories / 6.9 g fat / 2.3 g fiber / 4.5 WW points. Makes 12 servings.
No comments:
Post a Comment