Wednesday, November 17, 2010

30 Days of Thanks - Day #17


Today I am thankful that I can READ.

I recently met someone who cannot read. It broke my heart. I honestly cannot fathom not being able to read. I remember Mom working with me on my letters before I started school. As the youngest of four, I wanted to catch up with my siblings and read what they were reading!

Who remembers Fun with Dick and Jane?


Such simplicity. But that was just the beginning! I remember going to the library. Such treasures to be had. My stack usually had at least one book about giant cats, such as "Born Free."


My taste in reading has changed, but my love for it has not! I can get lost in a good book. One that makes me laugh, or cry, or think.

Everything from cookbooks...


to biographies...


to Biblical studies...


to lighthearted Christmas stories!


And I am most thankful that I can read the greatest book of all!

3 comments:

Marc Adrian Smith said...

I enjoy reading as well. It helps with the imagination and allows you to travel to places you could never go in real life.

Mary Frances said...

I'm thankful I can read too! Can't imagine NOT being able too!!!! In first grade I was in the lowest reading group in my class but by the time I was in second grade I read a 200 page book in one day! A lot of the African adults don't know how to read...I can't imagine!!! Its one of the coolest things to be able to teach to people!!! Btw- I was thinking about it cuz of when your pastor took up the offering at WCC... let me know if your church is gonna plan a trip or missions trip that is open to people to go to that church in Liberia...I would LOVE to do something like that!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Mary,
I'm not sure if there are plans to go to Liberia or not. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Verse of the Day