Thursday, August 28, 2008

Worry

Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its strength.
- Mom's Bible

As a teenager I thought Mom was a total worrier! She never went to sleep until all her kids were safely at home. Of course now I understand that is just what moms do! When I was in my twenties I was glad she was up because those were times when she and I could talk without distractions.

I had a friend who once told me she never worried. Her reason? "Mom worries about my weight, Dad worries about my finances, my sister worries about my lack of a boyfriend, and my brother worries about my car! What do I have to worry about?"

I was probably about 8 or 9 the first time I heard the message and poem "Just Let It Unfold" preached by my pastor Elder Vaughn Morton. I have heard the message many times since then, and it always comes back to a choice: worry or trust? Whichever we choose, the outcome is still in God's hands - so choose trust!

JUST LET IT UNFOLD

It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of God’s design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine.

The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I;
The flower God opens so sweetly
Would in my hands fade and die.

If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of God’s design,
Then how can I think I have wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?

So I’ll trust in Him for His leading
Each moment of every day;
And I'll look to Him for His guidance
Each step of the pilgrim way.

For the pathway that lies before me,
My Heavenly Father knows;
I’ll trust Him to unfold the moments
Just as He unfolds the rose.

(author unknown)

5 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

This poem never gets old. Definitely one of my favorites. BTW, sounds like I might know that friend.

Kathy McElhaney said...

It wasn't your daughter! But you probably know her. It's been a long time and she's happily married now.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I needed to read this today! I'm telling you I love your blog for encouragement. Now it's up to me to apply it to my life. Yes, as a mother, worry is a constant thing, which may explain my glorious gray hair! Worry totally leaves me drained, what your mom wrote could not be more true.

Kathy McElhaney said...

I read what happened at your darling peep girls' school today! Thank God, He is taking care of them. They really are in safe hands.
My Mom's hair was your color when she was your age, too. She had 4 teenagers at once!

Anonymous said...

Yes, He is, I thanked Him over and over at prayer last night. I could NOT imagine having four teenagers at once, but your mom obviously had God's Help. Thank you for being such an encouragement to my girls -- you are one blessed peep of theirs. By the way, I laughed at your quick come back for Andrew Dhillon at Adrianne's blog regarding the fashion laws of shoes!! LOL!

Verse of the Day