Friday, August 15, 2008

The B-I-B-L-E

The Devil is not afraid of the Bible that has dust on it.
- Mom's Bible

From a very young age, Mom encouraged me to take my Bible to church. I've found that following along during the reading and keeping my Bible open during the preaching help me remember more than when I just listen. So many times, a verse speaks to me, and when I underline it, I can go back to it during my own study time and think about it some more.

I've been in many churches that show the verses on a projection screen. And while that is helpful, I don't think they'd like it if I tried to underline a key verse on the screen!

Since part of our armor is "... the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God," shouldn't we want to keep that weapon handy?

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Good thought. If our Bibles are dusty - it means that our spiritual minds are dusty too.

Anonymous said...

I really like Karen Hopper's comparison because it makes sense. Since I've committed to reading my bible before I read any book, I can't go one day without reading it, and I, too, love having my bible handy during teaching and preaching. One of my favorite books of the bible is Esther!

Verse of the Day