Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Final Score

This is the first thing I see every time I open Mom's Bible:




Rod sent Mom flowers when she finished chemo the first time and this note was attached. I'm surprised that the poem below was NOT in Mom's Bible. I know she read it, and I'm sure it is written down somewhere in one of her many notebooks.

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited...

It cannot cripple love

It cannot shatter hope

It cannot corrode faith

It cannot destroy peace

It cannot kill friendships

It cannot suppress memories

It cannot silence courage

It cannot invade the soul

It cannot steal eternal life

It cannot conquer the spirit.

-Author Unknown

This poem describes Mom's cancer battle. Cancer DID NOT WIN. Mom never gave up, she never lost her hope, her joy, her peace, her faith, and most of all she did not lose her soul.

Yes, the final score was Mom (and God) 1, Cancer 0.

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

May all our "Final Scores" show us the victors (with the Lord's help). Beautiful post.

Chrissy said...

Sissy McElhaney-

Honestly, your mom's faith is so admirable -- what a family legacy to leave behind for her children. I'm so glad you're bloggin because I get to read this every day as another form of inspiration.

Thanks for sharing these precious McMemories! :)

Verse of the Day