(from Sis. Mary Coursey)
- Mom's Bible
Just as I am finding words of encouragement from Mom's Bible, she surrounded herself with encouragers. Of all the quotes that are written in Mom's Bible, only two have a name associated with them, this one and one other that I'll share at another time.
How do I even begin to describe Sis. Coursey? She was a Mother in Israel, a great lady. She was a part of Truth Tabernacle before I ever arrived, and part of many of my childhood memories. I don't remember her ever singing a special, playing an instrument, or even singing in the choir, but what I do remember is something far greater...
Sis. Coursey walked with God!
Sis. Hopper and Gayla, I'm sure you'll remember when she testisfied. She would get so excited about God and what He had done, she'd start shaking her fist, saying "Brother Morton" in her unique, quavering voice!
Most of all, if I had to describe her in only one way it would be - Prayer Warrior. Sis. Coursey didn't just pray at church, she lived her life with prayer. She didn't just pray when her back was up against the wall. She had a prayer life when things were going great in her life!
Her words "don't worry" were a result of years of praying and trusting in God. The way she lived her life gave her the faith to trust in the God who sees around the corner!
Just as I am finding words of encouragement from Mom's Bible, she surrounded herself with encouragers. Of all the quotes that are written in Mom's Bible, only two have a name associated with them, this one and one other that I'll share at another time.
How do I even begin to describe Sis. Coursey? She was a Mother in Israel, a great lady. She was a part of Truth Tabernacle before I ever arrived, and part of many of my childhood memories. I don't remember her ever singing a special, playing an instrument, or even singing in the choir, but what I do remember is something far greater...
Sis. Coursey walked with God!
Sis. Hopper and Gayla, I'm sure you'll remember when she testisfied. She would get so excited about God and what He had done, she'd start shaking her fist, saying "Brother Morton" in her unique, quavering voice!
Most of all, if I had to describe her in only one way it would be - Prayer Warrior. Sis. Coursey didn't just pray at church, she lived her life with prayer. She didn't just pray when her back was up against the wall. She had a prayer life when things were going great in her life!
Her words "don't worry" were a result of years of praying and trusting in God. The way she lived her life gave her the faith to trust in the God who sees around the corner!
4 comments:
Oh do I remember Sis Coursey. The minute I saw her name I thought of the waving "fist" while testifying. She was a "jewel" of woman, with a heart after God, and a love for her brothers and sisters.
Also, while my husband and I were youth leaders, we asked the youth to help the seniors around their homes. Well, Sis C was on the list. She was so gratful to have her yard cleaned and baked cookies for the entire youth group. The appreciation card attached read: "Precious in the sight of God is the death of his saints". Needless to say, not many of the chocolate chip cookies were eaten. The youth took her at her word. lol
Sis. Hopper,
I remember that story! I wasn't part of the youth group yet, but Kim was!
Yes, she was a "jewel".
Yes, she was a jewel...and a prayer warrior. To prove that point, when they found Sis. Coursey after she passed away, she was in her night gown on the floor, at the side of her bed, and she had been gone for several hours. They believe that she was taken to Heaven as she knelt to pray beside her bed before she went to sleep. Cool, huh?
Can you imagine having such a close walk with God, that one moment you're praying and the next you're face to face with Him!
Post a Comment