- Mom's Bible
My friends at A Jewel Divinely Rare and I Love Tank have both blogged about this subject this week, so when I went running this morning, WORDS were on my mind.
On a regular basis as a child, one of my siblings or I would run to Mom with "she/he called me a fill in the blank". In typical Mom speak, her response would be "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" to one child and "don't be a tattletale" to the other!
Ephesians 4:29 says, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."
I learned this verse a long time ago, but until this morning had not given much thought to the last few words: "minister grace unto the hearers".
The Amplified Bible puts it this way: that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it. God's favor? Whew! How often do we think about giving God's favor when we speak?
I have had situations, that given the opportunity I honestly don't think I could have ministered grace. I have had "conversations" in my mind about these situations, and the things I wanted to say definitely would not have ministered grace. So thank You, God, for keeping my mouth shut!
I once heard a story of Abraham Lincoln. He was upset with someone, so he wrote that person a letter. Abe said everything he felt and wanted to say. He then tore the letter up and put it in the fire! A great example of ministering grace by not saying a word!
Just a few minutes from home this morning I heard a perfect description of gossip. A neighbor was standing out at her trash cans and said, "Why did she put trash in the recycle?"
When you speak, always remember that God is one of your hearers.
- Mom's Bible
6 comments:
This is so true Peep. I never put it in that perspective before. God is one of our hearers, and I do not think He wants to hear trash come out of the mouths He made. Love the entry!
EliChloee
Definitely makes you stop and think before you speak! When we "recycle" our "trash" someone is going to coming out smelling bad.
your mom's quote is razor sharp (no pun intended) because it's so true. it's like the garbage and gossip post i did, and words really do hurt. it's so easy to go with the heat of the moment and forever hurt someone with just words. i pray God give me the patience to be wise in the heat of the moment and instead give me positive words or in figurative form throw my harsh words into the fire like Lincoln!
When I was younger, Elder Morton gave me a talkin' to about my sharp tongue. I still have to work on it - but I have learned that silence truly is golden! Now when I'm "mad, mad, mad" I save it for when I'm out running and only the coyotes hear.
Quacky Peep here! It cracks me up that my girls call you "Peep!" Thank you for the "words" of wisdom on this poisonous subject because it literally is poison as our wonderful Pastor & Pastor's wife have pointed out to us many times personally, and our church as a whole.
Nothing can hinder the move of God in our services than gossip. PJ said it so correctly that poison can tear apart the youth group, and the same applies to our church.
As I've said countless times -- I'm really surprised that my tongue has not been cut in half yet with all the biting on it I've been doing. With this said, it's so true that without a prayer life, our tongues can be out of control....
Love ya!
I feel so honored to be your girls' Peep! It makes me feel cool!!
Post a Comment