August 18, 1989 was the final night of Camp Meeting in Santa Maria. I had gone for the week and was planning on staying for Senior Camp which started the next day. This was my final year of eligibility as a camper, having turned 25 the previous April.
After service, my friend Yvonne and I were talking to Ruby Wilson when we spotted "him". His name was Les McElhaney and I had been introduced (briefly) to him at Youth Convention the previous March. At Youth Convention I was already going out with someone else, so I wasn't extremely friendly to Les - much to Yvonne and Ruby's dismay! This time, I was "free" and decided to thank God for second chances! When Les didn't even remember meeting me, I was happy to start over! This night was the beginning of something very special that eventually led to our marriage on May 25, 1991.
We spent all week of Senior Camp getting acquainted and finding out our common likes and dislikes. Because I had been a Senior Camp fixture for so many years, and Les was actually on the staff, the rest of the staff was very kind to let us stay out later than usual getting to know each other. I remember Bro. Harvey Cantrell coming by, shining his giant flashlight on us, smiling and letting us continue sitting there!! And the Hoppers helped me out when a certain pest from Fresno wanted to sit in on all our conversations!
So now you know what happened to those two 10 year olds from those long ago camps in California and Tennessee. I could go on and on about this wonderful man I married, but for now I'll just say "I Believe in Youth Camp!"



10 comments:
Do I ever remember. You could see and feel destiny in the making. Happy Anniversary (kinda). All of us that were from Fresno at the time were so bad - always "lurking" around to see what was happening. lol
It was an exciting time! I called Mom more that week than I had in many years of camps combined - I just had to let her know about this wonderful guy I met!
Those are absolutely adorable pictures. Your smile tells it all! I love your story too!
Cynthia
P.S. I post anonymous cause my blog name shows up for some reason if I don't
We definitely hit it right off!
P.S. I don't mind anonymous comments from people that sign their name!
Oh my word Sis. McElhaney how cute! Seriously, you guys look the same. Cute pics!
Thanks, Adrianne!
I can't believe how the years have flown!
Lucky! Does this mean I should find someone on the staff at youth camp??? lol You two look so happy! Happy Anniversary!
Sissy McElhaney!! OH MY WOOOOOORD, i just LOVED seeing these pics of the two of you!! It's so CRAZY how fast the time has flown!!! First of all, what a coincidence that the 2 of you received the Holy Ghost at the same time and at camp!!! You 2 look adorable, and you 2 are soooooo PERFECT for each other, and such a great example to our young people of what happens when you wait on God for the right companion. I thoroughly enjoyed all your pics, and I hope you 2 had a fabulous time in beautiful Santa Barbara!!
Eliana Peep!
There was no luck involved! I did what Pastor White preached about Sunday night - the main one was not making decisions on my own! When Elder Morton said "no" about different guys - I listened and followed his direction. It was worth it!! Even waiting 25 years was worth it! So... keep going to youth camp, as Bro. Booker says "you just never know!"
I love this :D
Post a Comment