The fist pumps at the end of a race and the grinning poses atop the medal stand aren't as important as the moments that took place when few were watching.
Those moments show a teenager outgrowing his adolescence and coping with unexpected fame. There is triumph and disappointment, but also growth.
Study them, and you begin to see how time and pain -- two of the most powerful forces in a swimmer's life -- have shaped the second act of Phelps' career.
There was the word again - Moments. How our lives can change in a moment. It takes but a moment to kneel before God in repentance, but a moment to be buried in His name, a simple moment when faith takes over and we are filled with His Spirit.
Moments are what change us. The moment you hear "so and so said such and such about you." You have a moment to decide, will I listen to this, get offended, or take the high road.
It's the moment in service, when the word of God speaks to your heart. The moment you decide to obey or rebel. The moment we outgrow our "adolescent" ways and start becoming the Christian God's wants us to be.
"Moments that took place when few were watching." Moments in private prayer and Bible reading. Moments of triumph, moments of growth. Those moments of "pain and time" are certainly not unique to a swimmer. They are two of the most powerful forces in a Christian's life as well.
I want to make all my moments count, for "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye..." (I Corinthians 15:52) When that moment occurs, making all the right decisions during life's moments will make that final moment glorious!
4 comments:
Said so perfectly. My prayer is that my moments be moments to glorify Him.
Wow...it's crazy to sit back and think about all the moments in life that we actually remember and cherish. This post reminds me of Pastor's message on Sunday about memories taking over dreams. I want the moments that God changes my life by touching, changing, restoring, refilling, and healing me to be the moments that help me realize my dreams are still able to come true...
Hi Sissy McElhaney! OMW, I cannot go one day without reading your blog because I end up missing so much! What a coincidence to me to read your blog particularly today because of little things come up in our day to day living, and your excerpt about whether or not to choose to listen to those that "said such and such about you," is so true. Really, who has time for that nonsense, and one of the things your hubby said in his great message ("Victory") of last Sunday -- "birds of a feather flock together" is another proven and true statement. Honestly, it angers me because Pastor White has such a burden for evangelism, outreaching to lost souls that it's such a waste of time to pay attention to the "nay sayers!"
Thank you for these nuggets of advice that you chose to share with us -- I really take them to heart, and I love to hear about the elder examples to us as women, in my case, as a mother. Just reading about Sis. Coursey is an example to me of what I strive to be in my personal walk with God.
I'm so thankful that my girls have you as an example in their lives.
Love ya mucho! Your Quacky Sissy, Chrissy!
Sis. Chris,
Isn't it amazing how God knows what we need to hear, exactly when we need to hear it? I really had no idea that this here bloggy thing would be such a blessing! But I'm glad!
I love all three of your girls and their momma!!
Post a Comment