Friday, August 1, 2008

Fultz's Funny Farm

How do I begin to describe the parade of animals that made its way through the Fultz household? Mom had this crazy habit of adopting stray animals. Dad never knew what new creature would be residing in our home when he came from work each day.

Here are a few examples of our more unusual residents:

Sam, the squirrel. This was a baby squirrel that fell out of a tree in our backyard. Mom nursed him and we all tried to tame him. Rod did the best in that arena. We probably had him for at least 10 years.

Handicat, the cat. Handicat, so named for his numerous handicaps, had 6 toes on each foot, was cross-eyed, could climb up trees but could never get down. We'd have to call him "Disabilitycat" now to be politically correct, but that was in the 70s. He also had a habit of getting in fights around the neighborhood and always losing.

Squeaky, the tortoise. When one of our elementary school teachers retired she no longer wanted her classroom pet - so, of course, he became ours. He was very patient, taking our Barbies for rides, but he did ruin my first attempt at a garden - he ate everyone of my bell peppers, tomatoes, and watermelons!

We also had hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, lizards, turtles, and frogs! Mom would "talk" to the guinea pigs, whistling just like them!

And then there were the dogs... Always dogs.... I can never remember a time growing up that we did not have a least one dog. Here are a few of the more memorable:

Bridget, the little brown chihuahua. She had 5 litters of puppies and each time she would present us with at least 4 puppies so each of us kids could have one of our own ... until it was time to give them away.

Cocoa, otherwise known at Loco. When the twins were very small they became terrified of dogs. Not afraid, terrified. Climbing-up-your-body-SCREAMING-when-a-dog-comes-toward-you type of terrified. Mom just couldn't stand not having a dog, so she got Cocoa. He was barely weaned and missing his family. The girls were still terrified. Mom finally "helped" them overcome their fears by telling them they were bigger than Cocoa. It eventually worked and they loved that dog for many, many years after Mom passed away.

Nellie, Cocoa's long lost twin. One day, after Mom had Cocoa for a few years, Nellie showed up at the door. She looked just like Cocoa, but was a totally different dog! Mom and the girls went around the neighborhood asking if she belonged to anyone. One little boy said, "I don't know where he lives, but I know his name is Cocoa." Well that settled it with Mom, Nellie became part of the family.

One dog, whose name now escapes me, was very special to me when I was about 4 years old. It was probably one of Bridget's puppies because we were giving it away. On the day that we were taking it to its new home, I was scheduled for pictures. I cried and cried about giving "my" puppy away. Pictures were going to be a disaster. Until I got to take them with my puppy!

Pepper. Oh boy, how to describe Pepper! Her greatest claim to fame was her obedience. Rod would sit on the couch and say, "Come here, Pepper" and she'd jump on the couch. He would then immediately say, "Get down" and she'd jump off. Rod would do this repeatedly, and each time up she'd go, then back down. Up, down, up, down. It was an endless game with Rod and why she put up with him is beyond me!

Penney, named for the pennies Mom and the twins saved to buy her. This was the last dog Mom bought and she so wanted a lap dog, one that would just sit and let her pet it. Of course Penney was too hyper for that, she also decided she liked Dad better than Mom. Penney now lives with Krysten and Lauren, spoiled as always.

Just as she did with children, Mom nourished and nurtured every animal that came her way. Dad was very patient, but every once in a while he put his foot down. One peaceful Saturday afternoon, we kids were playing at home, Dad was trying to relax, maybe even take a nap on the couch, when Mom came home:

Mom (rushing in the house): Bob, I need a box
Dad: Huh? A box? What for?
Mom: There's a little animal I need to rescue.
Dad: Where?
Mom: Around the corner.
Dad (knowing it is now useless to argue): I'll go with you, let me get my shoes on.
Mom: Well hurry!
Dad (when they get to the animal): It's a mole! We're not taking that thing home!

Such fun times at Fultz's Funny Farm!

12 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

I had to chuckle when reading your report on the Fultz's Farm. Norma nurtured those animals, and sometimes we would laugh about the adventures of Sam or Handicat. Wonderful memories of a wonderful woman who loved her God, family, and all creatures.

Kathy McElhaney said...

I knew you'd enjoy these stories. It was certainly an awesome environment to grow up in!

Chrissy said...

Hi Sissy McElhaney! Oh my word, my mom would always tell me when I would complain about Nembro and his birds (we have about 7 cockatiels in an aviary in our backyard) that people that love animals means they have a big heart. In fact, my nickname for Nembro, is Dr. Doolittle because he too loves animals!

These Fultz Farm stories are so GREAT and what fond memories for you and your family!

Chrissy said...

Oh my word! I'm also a blonde with websites!! I just happened to click on your slide show -- how totally NEAT!!! You were such a pretty little girl, and your nieces look so much like your mom!

Kathy McElhaney said...

I couldn't believe how many pictures I had of so many different animals! And I could have told many, many more stories.
I can tell your girls how to make a slide show if they want. I'm sure they'd have fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sister McElhaney!

I love your slideshow of pics of ALL your animals!! I really like your website because it is really sentimental, thoughful, totally reminds me of you! When I saw one of the pics when you were in it when you were a little girl, I thought that you were sooooo pretty, and I still think that your pretty today!!
I love you!!!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

To my two favorite Peeps!
Thanks for your sweet comments. I'm enjoying this blogging stuff - writing mine and reading yours!
Love you both!

Miss T said...

Sis. McElhaney:

I read tank your Fultz Farm post and he saw for himself that he is not the only spoiled dog in the world....lol! I have to say though, I love Sam the squirrel! Like my mom said, those who love animals have big hearts. It's a zoo at our house to with the birds and Tank, but then again, the King IS Tank. What a cute post! I couldn't stop laughing about the mole!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Every story I told was true! And I did not exaggerate at all!!
I'm glad Tank enjoyed the pictures.

Katie Booker said...

Kathy,
I just found your blog through Sis. Hopper's page. I have been really bad about checking up on blogs but I was sooo very happy to find yours!
I have been laughing and tearing up reading all of your posts!
Your family was so very dear to me and my family!
Your mom meant so much to me..I loved her DEARLY.
Rod was like an older brother to me.
Just last Sunday night a group from our church sang the song, "Oh Lord, We Praise You" and I couldn't help but cry thinking about Rod and how AWESOME he sang that song! Sarah Booker and I were talking about it in the nursery after church and we said NOONE could ever sing that song like Rod did!

As I read your post about the Fultz's Funny Farm I wondered if you were going to post about Pepper. I CLEARLY remember Rod doing the "come here Pepper, Get down Pepper" thing. We would LAUGH AND LAUGH! Didn't he have it on a synthesizer too or something?

Thank you for all of your posts! This will be one of my favorite blogs to keep up with!
We love you and Les!!!

ps...Still waiting to come visit sometime =)

Kathy McElhaney said...

Katie,
I'm so glad you found me! I was a little slow jumping on the blog-bandwagon, but I'm having so much fun with it! Who knew that a person with no kids would have so much to blog about!
Was it you or David that use to tell Rod to go home so you could go home and sleep?? He loved your family!
Your kids are all cute, but Logan has the most beautiful eyes! He's going to be a major heartbreaker before long!
We really do need to get together. It's been so long! Of course, you've been on bed rest for the last couple of years, haven't you??
Love you all!

Katie Booker said...

Kathy,
It was David that always used to say that. He would tell mom and dad, "Please tell Rod to go home. I'm tired! I want to go to sleep." lol!!!

Yes it does feel as if the last 3 years of my life have been on bedrest! Well no more worries of that happening! There are only 3 little Bookers coming from this household!

Verse of the Day