Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Courage

Wealth lost-something lost;
Honor lost-much lost;
Courage lost-all lost.
- Old German proverb
As I've been going through our family pictures, there have been so many emotions involved! Many pictures bring a smile or a laugh. Some bring old memories, while others are before my time. Here is a set from October 1964:

Kim, age 5 1/2


Rod
, age 19 months


This picture of Rod tugs my heartstrings! I can hardly look at it without wanting to cry myself...

This is not the Rod I remember. He lived a life of pain, but he was courageous! Sitting there on that horse, with big old tears in his eyes just gets me every time.

There were few things that held Rod back. He was all boy. He loved basketball, volleyball, racquetball, and softball! He was the boy who learned to ride a skateboard, sitting down, with a friend pulling him from their bicycle! He seemed fearless! Definitely more imp than angel, so a picture of him with tears is very rare.

Here's his kindergarten picture (front row, second from the left) - a black eye and a smile!


Here he is in the hospital, with a broken leg and a smile!


In this picture he's sitting in a wheelchair, in a full body cast, but again smiling!

Rod was so determined to LIVE. Pain would slow him down, but never stop him completely.

There are two people who can be credited with some of that courage - Dad and Mom. They courageously allowed Rod to be Rod. I know there were tough times, but they helped him grow up with an incredible amount of self confidence.

When it was time for bicycles, Kim, Rick, and I all got our own. There was no way Rod could have ridden on his own. Instead of saying, "Sorry, you just won't be able to ride," Dad found a used tandem and he would ride on the front with Rod on the back. Those Saturday afternoon rides, with all of us following Dad and Rod, Rod being his usual witty self, were some great times!

It takes courage to face what life hands us, but for today:
Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?
- Frank Scully

4 comments:

Cyndi Kaye said...

That was a very touching post and a great example of courage! =)

I love the classic grade school class picture. I showed a coworker and said "See how all the little girls and teacher were wearing dresses. And see the girls wore patent leather shoes." Just making a point because we were never allowed to where pants to school when I was in elementary school.

Then I cracked up at how short the dresses were! =)

Girly Muse said...

Those pictures are priceless.

Every post you write about Rodney makes me cry. There was just something about him that was so special, so inspiring, while still being so sweet and ornery :), that made him one of a kind.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Lori,
Sweet and ornery is a perfect description! But he seemed to know when the orneriness needed to stop before someone hit him...

April Renee said...

Rod was one of the funniest people I knew!!!
I remember senior camps your mom and dad had to come pick him up because he fell and hurt himself playing basketball or some sport, but he'd be back playing at church a few days later!!!
What a guy!!! One of a kind!

Verse of the Day