Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday Foodie

Can you believe I "served Italian" again this week?!?! I think I need to start learning the language!!

I tried two new recipes from Rosalie Serving Italian - Marinara Sauce and Fried Ravioli. They are both on Rosalie's blog, so I'm free to share them!! Let me just say - "Good bye, Prego! See ya, Ragu!" The marinara sauce was better than any sauce I've ever bought from a can or jar. I think it was better than most I've had in restaurants as well!

Once again, I'm copying the recipes directly from Rosalie's blog:

Marinara Sauce

Note: This sauce can be stored in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days or frozen in zipper bags. Use over pasta, in vegetable dishes, as a dip for appetizers, or in meatless lasagna.

Variation: Add Italian Meatballs recipe found on page 125 of the cookbook, for a quick meat sauce.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, juice included
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
4 - 5 tablespoons tomato paste, for thickening
few parsley leaves
  1. Pour olive oil in large saucepan and sauté onions and garlic about 2 minutes, until lightly golden.
  2. Pour tomatoes in bowl, removing any hard stems or unsightly pieces and discard. Chop tomatoes fine and add to onion/garlic mixture. Over medium heat begin to simmer sauce. Add the sugar, dried basil leaves, chicken broth, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Continue to simmer 5 to 6 minutes.
  3. Add the tomato sauce, paste, and a few parsley leaves. With the lid on, turn the heat to low and simmer about 15 minutes. Stir often to avoid scorching on bottom. If sauce is too thick, add 1to 2 tablespoons of water. Taste sauce and add more seasoning, if desired. Makes 4 cups.
I did not make any changes to this recipe! It was very simple and extremely tasty! Instead of simmering on low, I put it all in my Crock pot for about an hour so I could concentrate on other things, like Fried Ravioli!! We had this over linguine one night, over penne pasta another night and as dipping sauce for Fried Ravioli - Mmmmmmm!!!

Nutritional info: 158 calories / 3.5 g fat / 7.6 g fiber / 2 WW points for 1 cup.


Fried Ravioli

NOTE: This is a great appetizer or can even be served as meal. A delicious Italian classic that continues to delight the body and soul. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce or just plain with lots of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

1/2 pound frozen beef, or cheese ravioli
1 tablespoon salt

3 beaten eggs
2/3 cup plain bread crumbs
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh curly parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

½ cup mild olive oil, or more if needed

  1. Boil 4 quarts water and add salt. Add the ravioli and boil until the ravioli are tender. Drain gently.
  2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl, and add about half the drained ravioli to the egg mixture at a time.
  3. In shallow bowl, mix the bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper. With a slotted spoon, lift the ravioli one at a time out of the egg mixture, and coat well in the bread crumbs. Lay breaded ravioli on waxed paper. Continue until all are breaded.
  4. In large skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Add several coated ravioli to the hot oil, and fry until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to paper towel to drain.
  5. Transfer to a large platter with bowl of marinara sauce in the middle for dipping, or serve garnished with Parmesan cheese. Serve while still warm. Makes about 1 ½ dozen.
I cut this recipe in half and substituted Egg Beaters for the eggs. This is another winner!

Nutritional info: 80 calories / 2.96 g fat / .37 g fiber / 1.8 WW points per ravioli.

No comments:

Verse of the Day