Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Foodie

I made several favorites this week and one new recipe. Les wanted spaghetti, so I made some of Rosalie's Marinara sauce, which we also had with Fried Ravioli. Another night we had Chicken and Dumplings, I personally thought the leftovers were even better. But the crowning piece was Peach Cobbler! We had 3 peaches that were overly ripe, so I HAD to do something. I got the recipe from Tasty Kitchen. Here it is, easy as pie (err, cobbler!)

Peach Cobbler


  • 1 stick (8 Tablespoons) Butter
  • 1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1-½ cup Sugar, Plus 2 Tablespoons
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 1-½ cup Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Almond Extract, Divided
  • 2 pounds Peaches, Peeled And Sliced (about 4 Cups)

Preparation Instructions

Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter in a 13- by 9-inch baking pan; set in the oven to melt.

Meanwhile, whisk flour, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Whisk in milk and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract until smooth. Toss peaches with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. When butter has melted, remove pan from oven. Pour batter into pan; arrange fruit over batter.

Bake until batter turns golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This was DE-LISH!! Les only had one question, "Why didn't you make this sooner?"

Since I was too lazy the weigh my peaches, I peeled and sliced them to see how many cups I had. Three peaches ended up being 2 cups, so I cut the recipe in half and used an 8" x 8" pan. I didn't have almond extract, so I used vanilla. I also used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Light" instead of real butter.

Nutritional info: 203 calories / 3.8 g fat / 1.2 g fiber / 4.2 WW points. That's a bargain on the points, so add some vanilla ice cream! Makes 6 servings.

12 comments:

Notions from Nonny said...

I cannot wait to try this!!! If I wanted to use apples, would I use the same amount?

Thanks for sharing!
Sis. K.

Kathy McElhaney said...

I'm sure the same amount of apples would work. I'm thinking of trying boysenberries or blackberries!

Mary Frances said...

OMW!!! I LOVE peach cobbler!!! My friend Jac made some really good stuff last month...NOW I really wanna make some!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Mary,
This was super easy! All the ingredients were "normal" stuff you have in the kitchen. You could even do this with canned peaches if you didn't have fresh ones.

Faye Henry said...

Hi.. Thanks for the recipe. Looks great. I just made a couple of batches of peach jam and I know my husband would love this.. Thanks again..
Blessings...

Caroline (Jane) said...

Kathy,
I make this same recipe only we call it peach treat. I like that you used ICBINB, but did you use the tub or cube? I can't wait to try the lighter version! Thanks

Kathy McElhaney said...

Caroline,
I use the tub.

Mary Frances said...

I thik I am going to do this for SUNDAY! My sister and I are going to try and only eat out like once a week! I love cooking its just hard to only cook for two it seems like I always cook TO MUCH and then we have to eat it for DAYS!!! And its like if I cook several days in a row the fridge is going to explode AND my brothers RARELY eat my food! LOL I used to Bring it to the Abbott's and Sis.Abbot really enjoyed that but now they are always gone! Any tips on this Sis. Kathy? Cooking for two? Maybe a future blog post? LOL

Notions from Nonny said...

My mom made this today and it was soooo good!!!
And we had it with vanilla ice cream! :-)

Karen J. Hopper said...

Shame on you, shame on you, shame on you! It looks so good, and sounds so good - and it's almost one in the morning and I don't have a peach in the house. Well, there's always Monday to make a "Friday Foodie".

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,
Load up on your favorite berries - that's the cobbler I'm making this Friday!!!

Carol Connell said...

That peach cobbler looks delish. I made a fruit cobbler not too long ago with cherry plums from our backyard and some other fruit I bought at a fruit stand. Love those summer fruity desserts!

Verse of the Day