Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Foodie

Les had chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel during our last visit to Tennessee. Since that time I've been wanting to try my hand at them, so I finally did. I found numerous recipes and combined several to get what I thought I wanted. Most of the recipes used biscuits as the dumplings, but I wanted the real thing! I finally found a dumpling recipe I liked by going to The Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen site. This led me to the Eat at Home blog! I tweaked the chicken part to get a little more flavor because chicken breast can be pretty bland.

Chicken and Dumplings


1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk (yes, I used Soy milk!)
1 can chicken broth (+ about half a can of water)
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup (+1 can of water)

In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.

Heavily flour a work surface. Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter (I used my pizza cutter) in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x 2″.


To cook them, bring the broth to a boil. Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken, cream of chicken soup and water together.


Place dumplings on a plate and cover with chicken and ENJOY!! We sure did - with corn, fruit salad, and chocolate soy milk!

Nutritional info: 250 calories/ 0.75 g fiber/ 5.2 g fat/ 5 WW points. Makes 4 servings.

This is exactly what I was looking for! And for a Southern type dish, it is relatively low in calories and fat, but high in flavor.

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Oh yes, Cracker Barrel has great chick/dumps. Yours sound great too. Must try.

Cyndi Kaye said...

Chicken n' Dumplings - yummy - one of my favorite comfort foods! =)

Verse of the Day