Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Foodie

Did you know it is Cobbler Month? Actually it's not, but it seems to be happening around here! After my successful peach cobbler last week, I decided to make a blackberry cobbler this week. Another Tasty Kitchen delight:

FOR THE BERRIES
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 cups Blackberries, Fresh Or Frozen (I used frozen)
½ cups Sugar
_____
FOR THE BATTER:
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Self-Rising Flour
1 cup Sugar, Plus Extra To Sprinkle On Top
1 cup Milk

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To prepare the berries, place the butter on top of the berries in a small bowl. Pour the sugar over the berries and stir. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute so that sugar and butter begin to melt.

To prepare the cobbler, cut your stick of butter into several squares and place them all in a glass bake dish. I use an 8 x 11.5 x 2 inch clear glass bake dish. Place the bake dish in the oven to melt the butter. Mix together the self-rising flour and sugar until blended. Pour in the milk and mix until blended.

After butter is melted, take the bake dish out of the oven and pour the batter on top of the melted butter. Pour berries on top of batter. Do not stir! Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the cobbler.

Bake for about 55 mintues or until golden. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Yum!


I "tweaked" this just to see how low I could go on the points. Again I used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Light" instead of real butter, but I also swapped out all the sugar for Splenda! My one mistake was using All Purpose Flour instead of Self Rising, so it was a little on the flat side, but that did not affect the taste one bit! The result:

"Better than Cracker Barrel!" according to Les. Now you know we're talking high praise!!

Nutritional info: 109 calories / 3.6 g fat / 0.1 g fiber / 2.3 WW points!! Makes 8 servings. I recalculated last week's peach cobbler, it would also be about 2 points lower using Splenda instead of sugar.

No comments:

Verse of the Day