Yvonne and I had wandered off on our own when our friend, Bro. Lee Wilson, came up. He was very excited to introduce us to a young man he had met while he and his family were evangelizing. A very funny exchange occurred at this point:
Me: "I'm already going out with someone"I repeated these same words over and over as Yvonne and I followed him from one side of the lobby to the other. I was not convinced that I needed to meet anyone else that night. Although I knew my friends were getting concerned since I was soon to be TWENTY FIVE AND NOT MARRIED!! Oh my!! I obviously needed help!!
Bro. Wilson: "Just come on, you never know"
An exchange that lasted mere seconds occurred. I was introduced to Les McElhaney, but I had it in my mind, "I'm not interested, I'm already going out with someone else." And that was the end of it! Or so I thought! Yvonne and Bro. Wilson's wife, Ruby, were shocked at how rude I was! To tell you how brief our meeting was, Les doesn't even remember it!! What I didn't know until months later, Les was currently driving a Corvette and he had money in his wallet should a date opportunity arise!! (Anyone that knows Les, knows that money in his wallet is a rarity, but that's another story for another time!)
And now for THE REST OF THE STORY (taken from Our Anniversary... kinda, in a way, posted on August 18th):
August 18, 1989 was the final night of Camp Meeting in Santa Maria. I had gone for the week and was planning on staying for Senior Camp which started the next day. This was my final year of eligibility as a camper, having turned 25 the previous April.
After service, my friend Yvonne and I were talking to Ruby Wilson when we spotted "him". His name was Les McElhaney and I had been introduced (briefly) to him at Youth Convention the previous March. At Youth Convention I was already going out with someone else, so I wasn't extremely friendly to Les - much to Yvonne and Ruby's dismay! This time, I was "free" and decided to thank God for second chances! When Les didn't even remember meeting me, I was happy to start over! This night was the beginning of something very special that eventually led to our marriage on May 25, 1991.
We spent all week of Senior Camp getting acquainted and finding out our common likes and dislikes. Because I had been a Senior Camp fixture for so many years, and Les was actually on the staff, the rest of the staff was very kind to let us stay out later than usual getting to know each other. I remember Bro. Harvey Cantrell coming by, shining his giant flashlight on us, smiling and letting us continue sitting there!! And the Hoppers helped me out when a certain pest from Fresno wanted to sit in on all our conversations!
And that's the whole story! A brief meeting, a second chance, and a lifetime of love! I'm still glad I met Les 20 years ago today, even though he doesn't remember me!!



6 comments:
Oh how I remember that Senior Camp (and the pest). Amazing how God's timing makes everything perfect. Isn't it something how God does things?
Awwww!!! Thats cute!!!! Funny intro!!! LOL
That is the sweetest thing ever! i have pictures of me and david at Senior Camp on that same bench in front of that same tree.. LOL! i think we were 15 and 17 when the pics was taken :)
i LOVE the pictures. what a cute story and congrats for a successful 20 yrs of marriage!!
Sis. Hopper,
That Senior Camp (and the pest) are both unforgettable! God's timing was just right!
Mary,
The "other" guy was an important part of the story, but you never know, his wife might be a blogger now!!
Breanna,
It must be that cool Santa Maria air...
Jen,
Our 18th wedding anniversary is in May - today is the day we met for the very first time... yep, we took more than 2 years to get married even though we were both 24/25 when we met!
oh so sweet. i love the pictures!!! you both look all rosy and dreamy. :)
Post a Comment