Thursday, September 13, 2012

You Never Change

We had many guests at Youth Alive last week, but one I was surprised to see was Sis. Kathy Copeland from Buford, Georgia.  She was here with her two youngest sons.  She gave me the sweetest compliment when she said, "Kathy, you never change!"

I have known the Copelands since I was a single girl, working at the church in Truth Tabernacle.  When I look in the mirror, I see lots of changes from 25 years ago.  Wrinkles.  Hair with more and more silver.  Signs that I'm not the same as I was back then.  But her comment did get me thinking.  When someone walks in the door of my church, I hope they see some things that haven't change...
I'm still here! I never want someone to come to my church and say, "Where's Kathy?  Doesn't she come anymore?"  I have known this all my life and that's never going to change.
I still love to worship!  Whether I'm on the platform or in the pew, my mouth is going to be open when it's time to sing.  I'll be clapping my hands (unless I'm playing the piano), tapping my feet, and lifting my voice in praise.  
I still love holiness!  I don't think it's old fashion or out of style.  My hair is still long and so are my skirts.
I still love preaching!  My Bible will be open, in my lap or on the seat next to me, and I'll be following along.  I'm not too old to get something from the Word.  I'll be backing up the preaching and praying for God to do great things.
I'll still be praying in the altar!  Sometimes I'm praying for me, sometimes I'm praying for others.  But I won't be hanging in the back.

And when I become a "Senior Saint," I'm looking forward to hearing someone say, "You never change!"

5 comments:

carol connell said...

Great post, Sis. McElhaney! I don't ever want to change either. :-)

Anali V said...

Amazing post, sweet, simple and true!

Michelle Dianne said...

Amen! Several months ago, we had a visitor in church on Sunday morning. Sadly to say, she doesn't go to church regularly and hasn't for more than a decade, as far as I know. She was a very important person in my life 20 years ago. I remember her teaching us in Children's Church, having girls only sleepovers at her home and praying with us at the alter.

I made a promise to God that none of my Sunday School kids would ever have to look at me as a Sunday morning visitor and say, "That's Michelle. She used to be my Sunday School teacher." What a horrible and terrifying thought.

Jennifer Connell said...

LOVE this!! You are such a blessing and inspiration to many people! Love you!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Oh, yeah! LOVE this!

"Just leave it alone!
'Tis God's blessed Word
Whose Son did for evil atone
Each Word and each line tells of goodness divine
DON'T CHANGE IT!
JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!"

Yeah, I don't wanna change either!
Kelley of Kelley Highway

Verse of the Day