Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Update on Dad

Dad has been in a nursing facility since Friday.  He is still on antibiotics and doing physical therapy twice a day.  The therapy has been pretty tough on him, they don't want him to lose strength in his legs but sitting up in a wheelchair is extremely painful on his back.  He definitely still needs our prayers.

So how did I decide to go to a wedding in Nashville while all this was going on?  Not an easy decision, let me tell you.  I love my Dad.  I love my friends and their daughter is precious to me.  Here's how the decision making process went last week:

Sunday - Dad is in the hospital in San Francisco, surgery could happen any time.  No way I can go.
Monday - Still don't know what's going to happen.  Spent the day alternating between praying and worrying - nice combo, right?  About 5:00 that evening I got a call from none other than Lori Long - Mother of the Bride.  She read my blog and called to tell me that they would completely understand if I didn't get to come to the wedding.  I started bawling just talking to her, but it was such a relief.  I can only describe it as a long distance hug that I desperately needed.
Tuesday - Still don't know what's going on.  Talked to Dad about the wedding.  He said I should go if he wasn't having surgery.  Still undecided on my part.
Wednesday - Still waiting, but pretty sure surgery wasn't going to happen for a while.  Dad was told he might go home or to a nursing facility.  Again, he told me to go to the wedding.  Les had been in Des Moines, Iowa for business since Monday and we were to meet in Tennessee on Thursday.  Sis. White offered me a Southwest Buddy Pass that I could take with me.  If something happened while I was gone, I could fly standby to San Francisco.  It's about a 7 hour drive from my house to San Francisco, it's a 4 hour flight from Nashville to San Francisco.  At this point, I decided to go.
Thursday - Got up and flew to Nashville.  Shortly after I arrived, I received word that Dad was going to Pacifica Nursing and Rehab Center.  I was relieved that he would continue to receive professional care and would not be having surgery while I was gone.

Shew!  Can someone please stop this roller coaster and let me off?  We had a wonderful trip, but I'm glad to be back in the same time zone as Dad.

2 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

Kathy,
Thanks for the update on your dad. We will continue to pray for both of you.

And I understand the roller coaster ride you're on, up close and personal. Sometimes it seems like the G-Force will never let up. The ride can get a bit scary too. I heard Steph tell Rory at D-Land, "Even tho the ride might be a bit scary, we are always safe." I like to think that way about life, as long as God's in control, we are safe/covered no matter what comes our way.

Oops, didn't mean to preach a sermon! lol

Jennifer Connell said...

Wow, sounds like it's been a tough week. I'm glad you were able to go and that your dad was properly being cared for while you were gone. I'll be praying for you!

Verse of the Day