
Some other translations put it this way:
New International Version: For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
New Living Translation: For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
Common English Bible: Because God’s word is living, active, and sharper than any two-edged sword. It penetrates to the point that it separates the soul from the spirit and the joints from the marrow. It’s able to judge the heart’s thoughts and intentions.
Amplified Bible: For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the [a]breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.

The Word is powerful! It can be in personal study or during a church service, but the Word has pierced me many times. Often it is just a single verse - it happens quickly when I open my heart as I open my Bible.
Jeremiah 10:23 says, "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." But Psalms 119:133 says, "Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me." I won't feel the piercing and dividing when my Bible remains closed. The thoughts, attitudes, desires, and intentions of my heart will lead me astray as long as my Bible remains closed. No matter how many times I've read it, the Bible is still alive and able to work in my life as long as I'll keep it open.
Other books were given for our information.
The Bible was given for our transformation.
~ Mom's Bible
3 comments:
I love the Word of God! I truly love how God speaks to me through His written Word, the preached Word and His Spirit. It has always amazed me when I've prayed a specific prayer that only God knew that when the Word of God is preached the exact words I used in my prayer were said and the answer immediately followed. God is wonderful, amazing and awesome!
Excellent!!!
Heather
Hi Sissy McElhaney! This is such a good and inspiring post as the majority of your posts. I love your mom's words of wisdom.
Love ya! :)
Post a Comment