
My Bible reading recently took me to the book of 1 Corinthians. Chapter 12 contains an interesting passage about the body of Christ and its members. Paul gives such a clear illustration when he states in verses 15 through 21:
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?It's interesting that he spends more time talking about the parts comparing themselves to another part. Only verse 21 talks about an eye or a head saying they don't need another part. How often do people get discouraged because they compare themselves to someone else? "Because I'm not the preacher, I'm not important to the body." "Because I'm not the head usher, I'm not important to the body." "Because I'm not..."
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

It would be an awfully strange looking body if it was entirely made up of eyes. God is the designer. Just as He designed our bodies to function, so He designed each of us to function within the body of Christ. Be who God called you to be! Find joy in your calling, no matter how great or small.
Every talent, strength, and compassion is a gift of God.
- Mom's Bible
2 comments:
Great thought but WOW those illustrations are something else!! I had a hard time getting away from them - they were like a magnet. lol
That's what our church would look like if everyone was trying to play the drums at the same time!!! Can you imagine a visitor's reaction?
Post a Comment