Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Foodie

I tried two new recipes this week and was very happy with them both!!

Southwestern Minestrone with Ravioli

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, diced, 1 cup
1 zucchini, thinly sliced, 1 cup
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2" slices, 3/4 cup
2 carrots, cut into 1/4" slices, 3/4 cup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. dry Southwestern seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
1 cup frozen mini ravioli

In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and seasonings; cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 10 minutes.

Add broth, tomatoes and beans; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until flavors have blended, 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package directions; drain. Stir ravioli into soup.

I, of course, made a few tweaks to the original recipe. I followed the first two steps, but then put everything in my crock pot on low for about 4 hours. The original recipe called for a 13 oz. package of ravioli, I only used a cup and it was plenty. I did not cook the ravioli, but about an hour before we ate, I just dumped them in the crock pot too.

Nutritional info: 140 calories, 5.6 g fiber, 1.1 g fat, 1.8 WW points per serving. Makes 6 servings. FYI, the original recipe was 284 calories, 8 g fiber, 8 g fat, 4.7 WW points! All I reduced was the ravioli!

This was really good! I used original Rotel tomatoes and that made the soup very spicy! We loved it. I also made No Pudge brownies that day - chocolate, the perfect follow up to spicy food!

My second recipe was one I got from my sister-in-law, Monica. She made this for us on Christmas and I had to get the recipe!

Butternut Squash Bake

1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups mashed, cooked, butternut squash (1 squash)

Topping
1/2 c. crisp rice cereal
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. chopped pecans
2 Tbs. butter or margarine, softened

Bake squash until slightly softened. I put mine in the oven at about 300, and did housework! I checked it from time to time until it seemed about as soft as a baked potato. I think it was in the oven for about an hour. Then I peeled it, split it open, and got rid of the goop!

Cream butter and sugar in bowl. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla. Stir in squash. Mixture will be thin. Pour into greased pan (mine was a 10" pan). Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes or until set.

Combine topping and sprinkle over squash. Return to oven, bake 5-10 minutes or until bubbly.

I made very minor changes to the recipe - used Egg Beaters instead of eggs, low fat margarine instead of the full fat and Splenda instead of sugar. I thought this might be high on the points scale because it is so yummy, but was pleasantly surprised!

Nutritional info: 154 calories, 1 g fiber, 5 g fat, 3.3 WW points per serving. Makes 8 servings.

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

You have made me so hungry!!! LOL

Mary Frances said...

I nominated you with the Kreative blogger award! Go to classicmarymoments.blogspot.com for details!

Gayla said...

Both of these sound delicious. I will try them...

Verse of the Day