Monday, October 12, 2009

It's a Battle!


My Weight Watcher leader handed out calendars for the month of October with a thought for each day. Thoughts like "Chocolate is not a vegetable" and "Get in all your fruits and veggies." Then there was this:
"Learning to lose is like basic training,
but maintaining the desired weight is the real battleground."

- Jean Nidetch,
Weight Watchers Founder
After 3 1/2 years of maintaining, all I can say is, AMEN!!

Also, we often hear "muscle weighs more than fat." This is not a true statement. A pound is a pound is a pound. But a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. Here's a visual for you.

This is what 5 pounds of fat looks like:


This is what 5 pounds of muscle looks like:


Gotta keep fightin'!

3 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

Oh how I wish I had your sticking power. I had it once, for a long time, but can't seem to figure out what I did with it. You keep fighting, and who knows... maybe I'll rejoin the fray one of these days.

Kathy McElhaney said...

I do take occasional vacations from the fight, but try to stick with it. I guess I've decided it's easier to keep it off then regain and try to lose it again!

Cyndi Kaye said...

Rachel saw the pics of fat vs. muscle. Made an impact! =)

Verse of the Day