
Along with my new Runner's World subscription came a "free gift." When I opened it, I saw that it was a Runner's Training Log. A little notebook to write down distance, time, course, and other notes on a daily basis. My first thought was "how old school." I have my Polar for that! It tracks everything and downloads to my computer log. But when I opened the log, I saw that there were some nuggets of wisdom at the bottom of each page. You may not be a runner, but I think you can relate them to your own race...
Running gives me a sense of strength, power. On the way home from a run, I'm a new woman.
- Lynn Jennings, US and world cross-country champion
The most important aspect of training is consistency.
- Jennifer Toomey, US 800-meter runner
Smart goals are specific, measurable, realistic, written out, and should have a deadline or time frame.
- David Yukelson, Ph.D., Penn State University sports psychologist
I always run alone, away from phones and stress. Running is a major part of my life because it keeps me sane.
- Michael Roux Jr., runner and the executive of London's famed, family-run Le Gavroche
When I'm doing hills, I say to myself, "I love the hill, I love the hill." It helps.
- Shawn Colvin, Grammy-winning singer/songwriter
Motivation has to come from within. I make up my mind to shoot for the moon. Even if I don't make it, I'll be among the stars.
- Francie Larrieu Smith, five-time Olympic runner
Running should be fun. If people enjoy running, they'll do it well.
- Julie Brown, professional runner/attorney
I have more mileage on my treadmill than on my car.
- Kim Jones, marathoner
Your choice of everyday shoe can be just as important as your choice of running shoes. A high-heeled or improperly fitted shoe can be hard on your feet and legs, adding to end-of-the-day fatigue. Find some foot-friendly footwear.
- Mary Downey, personal trainer/private running coach
Not only in running but in much of life is a sense of balance and proportion necessary.
- Clarence DeMar, winner of seven Boston Marathons
and my favorite for today:
I don't train. I just run my 3 to 15 miles a day.
- Jack Foster, runner
No comments:
Post a Comment