Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Foodie

I didn't try a new recipe this week, just a new twist on something old! With the rain Tuesday and Wednesday, it was perfect for chili and cornbread. I usually make corn muffins straight from a mix, but when I bought the Betty Crocker mix it suggested "Traditional Skillet Cornbread." Hmm... never made that before... Well now I have!


I'm sure these directions would work for any mix or homemade recipe, you might have to adjust your oven temperature and time.
  1. Heat oven to 400. Generously grease or spray sides and bottom of 8-inch cast-iron skillet. Heat skillet in oven 10 minutes or until hot. Carefully remove to heatproof surface.
  2. Prepare muffin mix per package directions. Spread batter in hot skillet.
  3. Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.


This was very good! It made the cornbread a little crunchier and was very easy. My skillet was 10 inches, so the batter was spread a little thinner and it only took about 10 minutes to bake. I was surprised when it did not stick to the skillet at all. Dump a piece in the chili and butter a piece on the side... mmm, mmm good!

Nutritional info: 120 calories / .75 g fat / 0 g fiber / 2.5 points per piece. Makes 8 servings.

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sounds yummy. And not as many calories as I thought. Now that's exciting to know.

Mary Frances said...

Mmmmmm!!! That sounds soooo good!!! I gotta try it!!! I love corn bread!

Verse of the Day