Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Foodie

There is something about the end of October that has me looking for pomegranates! I know it's because there was a pomegranate tree on our street when I was in elementary school, and we would help ourselves to the ripe fruit around this time of the year. There isn't a tree nearby, but I have picked some up at the grocery store a couple times.

I wanted to try a recipe that included pomegranates, so of course I Googled "pomegranate recipes." This lead me to Pomegranates.org. I finally decided on "Spicy Pomegranate Baked Pears" and was not disappointed!

Spicy Pomegranate Baked Pears

4 firm baking pears
1 cup pomegranate syrup (see below)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches in length
4 whole cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel pears, halve lengthwise, and core.
Arrange pears cut side down in a ceramic baking dish. In a non-metallic bowl, combine pomegranate syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cloves. Pour the mixture over the pears and place in preheated oven.
Bake for 45 minutes, basting frequently, or until pears are tender. Serves 4.

Pomegranate Syrup
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup sugar

To Prepare Juice
For 1 cup of juice, put 1-1/2 to 2 cups of seeds in a blender; blend until liquefied.
Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve.

To Prepare Pomegranate Syrup
In a 1-2 quart pan, combine pomegranate juice and sugar.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Boil for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.


Let's see, I think Les' description was "Spectacular!" This was SO good!

I substituted Splenda for the sugar and used 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon instead of cinnamon sticks. I also Googled "cheesecloth substitutes" and paper coffee filters were suggested. I guess they worked because this dish was wonderful! Topped with vanilla frozen yogurt, mmm, mmm, good!!

Nutritional info: 79 calories / 0.5 g fat / 4 g fiber / 1 WW point for half a pear with sauce. If you choose to only have half a pear, there will be 8 servings instead of 4.

Pomegranates.org also gives a three-step no mess way to prepare pomegranates and it works! No juice all over the counter, or table, or fingers!

2 comments:

Mary Frances said...

We have a pommegranite tree in our front yard!!! =)

Kathy McElhaney said...

Ooo... I'm on my way over!!!

Verse of the Day