going to sleep listening to waves crashing on the shore...
relaxing with my best friend...
walking on the beach...
forgetting what day it is and not caring...
These are a few of my favorite things!
I'm not going to give a day by day, hour by hour report. I think you'll enjoy the highlights and pictures the most!
Taking the Long Way
Before we arrived on Maui, we decided we would take the "long way" to our condo. We have stayed at the Aston Mahana several times and usually take the most direct route. If you look at the map below, you'll notice that the road does not connect at the top. What really happens is the road becomes narrow, often one lane, and is not the best quality. But that doesn't mean it can't be driven! It was the perfect way to start our relaxing vacation...

Cycling and Orientation Breakfast
Les had ridden with Go Cycling Maui when we visited the island in 2005 and wanted to ride with them again. The only day that would work was our first day - Saturday morning! Being the loving wife I am, I said, "go for it!" He rode part of the famous "Road to Hana" - a total of 48 miles.
While Les was cycling, I attended our orientation breakfast. There were only 7 people in attendance, with 2 door prizes available and I won one! My prize was a Sunset Cocktail Cruise. After talking it over with Les, we decided to upgrade to a two hour Dinner Cruise and scheduled that for our anniversary on Monday. It was fantastic!
'Ulalena
I don't know if I can adequately describe the show 'Ulalena. WOW! Taken from the website: " 'Ulalena explores relationships between people, nature and mythology. The use of metaphors integrates Hawaiian chants and dances, original music and choreography, lighting and projections to support the talents of unique performers." This was NOT a luau. From the goddess, Pele, with her volcanic flow that covered the audience, to the amazing musicians, to the "Banyan trees" on stilts, and the acrobats that were the moon and a waterfall (my personal favorite!) It was an incredible evening that we won't soon forget.
Going Hawaiian Style
No, I didn't wear a grass skirt! Les has his share of Hawaiian shirts and I have a few Hawaiian skirts. But Hawaiian style for me is a vacation for my hair. This started on our honeymoon with me not wanting to waste a lot time "primping" and it's become a tradition. I didn't even pack a blow dry, curlers, or curling iron! My hair was "natural" - either in a ponytail, braid, or up in a bun. Besides, when you're driving around in a convertible, the best thing you can do for your hair is put on a hat!
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox slideshow |

8 comments:
Wow, your slideshow really made me feel relaxed as if I'd went on vacation. Glad you had a wonderful time - and thankful that you are safely home. Love ya.
Peep- those pictures are so relaxing :) And they are also well taken! :) I love that first Hawaiian skirt:) Pretty cool! Oh, and I love your hair naturally down in those pictures on the boat... It looks so pretty! :) It looks like you had fun! Love you!
Love,
Chlo
Sis. Hopper,
We were "limp" with relaxation! Glad you enjoyed the pix.
Peep!
I don't know what my hair is going to look like tonight - it's been almost 2 weeks since I've done anything with it! Think I could get away with that on the platform? Nah...
Are you out of school?
Love you both!
wonderful pictures!!! looks blissful.
I love Hawaii. Can't wait to go back, but too busy going elsewhere. Great Pictures!
Looks like you had a WONDERFUL time!!!!
Love ya
That old church building, was that on the road to Hana? Do you have any reccommendations for how to that trip- like a tourist? The girls are scared to drive the road!!!
Mary,
We have been to Maui SIX times - so I'm your expert on all things Maui!! LOL!!!
The church was on the northern road we took (the long way) on our first day on the island. You will probably want to head to your hotel when you first get there after your 5+ hour flight.
As far as the road to Hana - we've done it once, it is very windy and was quite crowded so it was difficult to stop at all the pretty spots because there were always a ton of cars there. If we were going to do it again I'd take the tourist route - a rented van with lunch provided!! There are also van/helicopter combos where you ride to Hana then take a helicopter back out. Not sure how pricey those are, though.
If you are staying in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area there is a TON to do - from wandering and shopping in Lahaina Town and Whalers Village in Kaanapali, to every imaginable water activity - jet skis, kayaks, submarines, dinner cruises, you name it!!
A drive up to Haleakala is worth the trip. It's the top of a dormant volcano. On a clear day you can see forever...
Although it will be November, you will still need tons of sunscreen, too! You don't want to ruin your vacation by getting burned the first day.
If you read something and wonder if it's any good, feel free to ask me! We've been so many times we've done just about all the major tourist stuff!!
Post a Comment