Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It Keeps Running!

When Les and I got married we had 2 vehicles. Neither were new, but they were both paid for. During that first year of marriage, we decided to start saving for a new car and in June, 1992, we purchased (with cash) a 1992 Saturn SL2. This has been a faithful car! It now has 285,000+ miles!

Why am I mentioning our Saturn today? Last night on our way home from prayer meeting, we had to stop for gas. Our little 17 year old Saturn got 34.5 miles per gallon on the most recent tank of gas! That's right 34.5 MPG!!

I never dreamed our little car would last this long and neither did Saturn! When it had just over 100,000 miles it started having some engine problems. I broke done on the freeway going to work one morning. A few weeks after that I was in a slight fender bender (it's only wreck!). A few weeks after that I broke down again! But when the Saturn staff suggested it was time to get a new car, I said, "No, it's time you fixed what's wrong!" Actually, I wasn't that nice! After being towed in the second time, when I was told they had only fixed what they "thought" was wrong, and had not done a full inspection, I slapped my hand on the desk and said, "that is unacceptable!" It's funny now thinking about the reaction of two men as they stood up straight wondering what this little blond was going to do next!!

Maintaining relationships takes the same attitude. We've got to schedule maintenance - when was the last time you took your spouse on a date? have you spent one-on-one time with your teenager lately? Good, healthy relationships don't just happen - they take work! You can't ignore that squeak hoping it will go away.

When we see a life broken down on the side of the road, we've got to say, "that is unacceptable!" If we can "tow" them in to the "saving station", God can give them a new engine! Ezekiel 36:26 says, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh."

One other thing - I have covered our Saturn with prayer many times. When we started our Building Fund ten years ago, Les and I committed to give, and give we did! I told God we couldn't afford a new car so He needed to keep the current one running! Well here it is this morning as Les drove off to work! Prayer works!


3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Very good post. BTW: Me and hubby had a date in Santa Barbara (and a touch of Ventura) yesterday. We may not get out as often or go as fast but thank the Lord we can still have a date now and then. lol

Kathy McElhaney said...

Hey! That's awful close to me... One of these days we're gonna bump into each other.
Love you!

jennifer lord said...

great post on relationship maintenance!

and how awesome about how long your car has lasted! a friend and i were discussing Today how we want to buy good cars that last for a really long time.

Verse of the Day