Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I LOVE Camp!

What an incredible week!!

Here are few details of how our camp works - it is a Youth and Family Camp, with campers being ages 7-25. This year we had 395 campers!! I don't know all the final numbers, but we had 900 in attendance on Thursday night and the Friday night crowd was even bigger. Adults stay in trailers on the fair grounds or in the many hotels nearby. The younger campers (ages 7-11) have several activities of their own, including Kids Church in the morning and separate recreation teams. But we all get together for one service in the evening and all campers can sing in the choir. The choir was directed by Sis. Pam Gregg and it was awesome! I'm guessing there were at least 100 campers in the choir and it's neat to see the little ones singing in the choir with the older ones.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Elder Morton preached from Titus 3:5, emphasizing "renewing of the Holy Ghost." After each of his messages, he would open the altar first to those who did not have the Holy Ghost, then those who needed a refilling. Thankfully, that group got smaller each day as more and more young people prayed through. Thursday morning he preached about "The Danger of Being Empty" from Matthew 12:42-44 "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first..." I don't ever want to find myself in that place of emptiness.

I don't remember the title of everyone of Bro. Copeland's messages, but two come to mind - "God Hears What We Don't Say" and "The Other Side of Ugly." Every night God met with us and more than once it was beautiful seeing young people lingering in the presence of the Lord.

As part of the praise team on Friday night, I had a "front row" seat of the altar service and I was so touched to see two little girls standing in the very front. One was Angelica from our church who is only 7 years old. We were singing "No One Can Touch You Like Jesus Can" and I could see tears rolling down her cheeks as she felt that touch.

It seemed to me that the culmination of all the messages occurred on Thursday night. Bro. Copeland was preaching and the Spirit of God moved in a mighty way. The campers sit in the front section, while we older folks sit in the back. I was on my feet worshiping and when I opened my eyes the entire camper section was empty. Nearly 400 young people had made their way to the altar without an altar call! It was incredible to see God draw this great group to Him in such a powerful way.

I'm so thankful to have been part of such a great camp! Tomorrow I'll tell you about three things we Pentecostals enjoy "Food, Fun, and Fellowship!"

5 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a wonderful presentation of the week you had. It made me feel that I was right there. It is wonderful when God's spirit comes in our midst and moves us. Hallejah, God is Good.

Kathy McElhaney said...

It felt just like times I experienced at Youth Camps and Senior Camps when I was a camper. So glad God doesn't change!

Anonymous said...

This camp was so awesome Peep! and it was fun talking to you lol...God was really there at this camp, and Bro. Morton was right when he said that the campers could say they have never been to a camp like this camp :) Love you! Can't wait to see pictures...
EliPeep

Kathy McElhaney said...

This really was a great camp! Pictures are coming tomorrow, Peep! Where are yours??
Love you!

Joy Hogle said...

Wow, I feel the same way! I have to sit and listen to all the CD's. I want to hear the whole week. I love Camp too! It's more than wonderful!

Verse of the Day