Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Don't Forget Dad!

This Sunday is Father's Day. I was thinking about how there seems to be so much more "hoopla" surrounding Mother's Day versus Father's Day. Here is some information comparing the two holidays:


  • Mother's Day is about heartstrings. Father's Day is about hardware and last-minute shopping.
  • Father's Day is less revered: not planned as far ahead, less time is spent together as a family and gifts are chintzier.
  • Mother's Day -150 million cards sold. Father's Day, a Hallmark afterthought, sees less than 95 million.
  • While Mother's Day racks 150 million phone calls, Father's Day has 140 million but holds the title for most calls placed collect.
  • Mother's Day ranks as the number one holiday for wired flowers with 23% of all holiday floral sales. Father's Day gets beat out by such bloom-crazy events as Thanksgiving. Statistically, men are more likely to get flowers at their funeral than for Father's Day.
  • Mother's Day is the biggest brunch day of the year and a bigger dining out day than Valentine's Day with 38% of adults eating out. Father's Day sees 23% of adults eating out. It is a bigger day on the golf links which tend to attract a mix of all-male foursomes, couples and dads with kids.
  • Top gift for mom - clothing. Top gift for dad - one of 8 million neckties sold for the occasion.

I think it's very sad that we don't give as much attention to dads. Each time the Bible speaks of honoring thy mother, it always says honor thy father as well. Sure, dads are quick to say, "I don't need a gift..." but EVERYONE needs to be remembered and loved. I know there are a lot of deadbeat dads around, but there are also a lot of wonderful dads. Dads that get up every morning and go to work, that come home every evening, dads that work second jobs to keep food on the table, dads that don't ask for anything in return because they love their families. I'll say more about my own Dad on Sunday, but I hope everyone will take the time this week to show appreciation to the dad in their life!


1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

The Superman cartoon is adorable, and isn't that just how most children view their dads.

Verse of the Day