Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Foodie

My friend and fellow blogger, Tammy, has a food blog entitled "Table for Three" and I stole this week's recipe from there! I cut the recipe in half and after reading Tammy's commentary I made a few changes that she suggested. For her original recipe, along with step by step photos, go here.

Crescent Chicken Casserole


ingredients:

1 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided (I used WW shredded Mexican cheese)
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 (8-count) can refrigerated crescent rolls (reduced fat)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel mild diced tomatoes and green chilies

directions:

step 1 - boil chicken, season to your palate pleasing and dice
step 2 - preheat oven to 350 degrees
step 3 - butter casserole dish (I used Spam spray)
step 4 - add 1/3 cup cheese to chicken and mix
step 5 - separate rolls, and spoon chicken mixture onto each roll
step 6 - roll up
step 7 - place in buttered casserole dish
step 8 - in a saucepan, melt together soup, 1/3 cup cheese and tomatoes (I had leftover chicken, so I added it as well)
step 9 - pour mixture over rolls
step 10 - bake for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven
step 11 - remove and add remaining cheese and put back in oven to melt
step 12 - spoon out and serve!

(this is a small plate - not a dinner plate!)

This was DE-Lish! When Les walked in the door Monday evening he said, "mmmm... something smells good." I love when that happens! And this tasted as good as it smelled. In fact, I wish I hadn't cut the recipe in half! Les rarely gets up from the table for seconds, but he did with this meal. We each started with 2 crescents and Les had a third. I wasn't sure what to fix with it but was in the mood for corn on the cob, so we had corn on the cob and fruit salad. It felt like a summer meal! I think I could make it a "Mexican" meal by adding Spanish rice, beans, chips and guacamole.

Nutritional info: 195 calories/ .6 g fiber/ 7.6 g fat/ 4 WW points per crescent.

Thanks, Tammy!

2 comments:

Juanita Barnes said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make it tonight. I too love it when Gary comes in and says, "Mmmmm that smells good". Matter of fact we have a little game we have played for our 33 years of marriage. Every day he calls to let me know he is on his way home for work and will ask whats for dinner. Every day I say, "Oh nothing" or "Wait and see". I never tell him. I just love his reaction when he gets home and that "Mmmmm something smells good" just makes my day. Crazy I know. We told Bro. Morton about our little game and he thinks I'm nuts. Maybe so, maybe so.
Love your blog,
Juanita

Kathy McElhaney said...

Juanita,
Hope you all enjoy this. We really did! There are days when I just don't know what to fix, when I come up with something and then hear "Mmmmm" it makes my day, too!

Verse of the Day