Saturday, November 3, 2012

November 3rd ~ A Special Day (Thanks a Day)

I'm deviating from today's challenge word (breakfast) to share something I'm really thankful for!  22 years ago today, in beautiful Yosemite National Park, Les asked me to marry him!  We have had such a wonderful adventure.  God has blessed us so much and I know He's going to keep us in the palm of His hand.

November 3, 1990 ~ Yosemite National Park ~ after I said "Yes!"
I was reading Anali's blog this morning about God's will.  Everything she said is true!  You cannot force the will of God.  You cannot force your "love" on someone when they are not even interested.  Just as I finished reading, I remembered how many steps Les went through before he asked me to marry him...

After dating for over a year, Les talked it over with his parents.  They were in agreement with him going forward to ask me to marry him.  Les then talked to his Pastor and got his blessing.  Les then talked to my parents and got their blessing.  Les then talked to my Pastor, Elder Morton.  The final step.  They went for a drive and after Les told him he wanted to marry me, Elder Morton said, "I hate you."  Hahaha!  True story.  I had been Elder Morton's secretary for almost 10 years and my marrying Les would take me 200 miles away.  After that little statement, Elder Morton said, "but I know it's right."  He gave his blessing as well.

November 4th ~ I was a "little" happy about being engaged!
I was 26 and Les was 27 at that time.  We really didn't need anyone's permission.  But Les had already decided if any of those people (parents or pastors) said "No" then he would not ask me to marry him.  Whew!  Glad they all agreed!  But more importantly, I'm glad God's blessing was on it.  It was right and is still right.


So I'm thankful today for Les, for his spiritual leadership in our dating and marriage.  And I'm so thankful everyone gave their blessing!!

8 comments:

Anali V said...

I laughed at the " I hate you " part. Lol its wonderful when everythimg works ! That's how you know its God's will ! Thank you for sharing :)

Kathy McElhaney said...

That "I hate you" was a classic Elder Morton line! I think he was the toughest one to get a blessing from ;)

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

This is beautiful. Way to go, Les! Congrats on your engagement anniversary!

*hugs*

jennifer lord said...

I just loooooove Elder Morton!

Les did it the right way by covering all bases. That's what I want in my life too.

God bless you too!

Hanna said...

Beautiful! And lol at what Elder Morton said...I'm afraid similar words will come out of my Dad's mouth when the time comes :S lol.

P.S. The "happy" engagement pic is so cute; genuine joy and Bro.McElhaney is captured by you!

Kendra Thaler said...

This is so beautiful! :) *I got teary eyed*

I watched both of you at Youth Alive when I was sitting next to you Friday night. When he reached over and held your hand, my heart melted. Your marriage is absolutely inspiring and encouraging to me! Praying for the same thing with Brendan and I in the years that come.

Yay for love and yay for God's will!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Kendra,
The hand holding happens all the time! Keep your hearts pure and your marriage will be wonderful.

Kendra Thaler said...

Yes ma'am I believe that :)

Verse of the Day