Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Which Came First?



No, not the chicken or the egg! I know the answer to that - God created every winged fowl on the fifth day of creation. I'm pondering something a little more deep than that...

At our church we have traditionally started the year off with a week of prayer and fasting. Many churches do this. It's a great way to the start the year. This year Pastor White felt to go in a slightly different direction. On the first Sunday of January, he preached to us "Daily in the Temple." The church in the book of Acts was daily in the temple and the results were off the charts! Pastor White asked each of us to commit to four days "at the temple" - coming to the church to pray at least four times during the week. These times include Sunday and Wednesday. We have Saturday night prayer and we were asked to come one additional time. He has asked us each to fast one day a week as well. Our Wednesday nights during the month of January were dedicated entirely to a time of prayer.

During the last couple of weeks of December and the entire month of January, I have been made aware of so many needs to pray about. Needs of healing, needs of salvation, needs for jobs, on and on the requests have gone. Needs in our local church, in my family, friends both far and near. I have not run out of things to pray about!!

So which came first? The prayer or the needs? Have there been more needs because of our additional prayer??

Les gave me a great answer to this question. "Because of your additional prayer, you are more sensitive to the needs." The needs would have been there, with our current economy, people would have lost their jobs whether I was praying or not. People would have been sick, whether I was praying or not. I have been ashamed at times when I heard a victory report, only to realize I had "forgotten" or been "too busy" to pray for the need. God answered, whether I prayed or not.

So the point of this post? Praying for others' needs takes the focus of my prayers off me, but still draws me closer to Him. Seeing those prayers answered blesses me. We have had new souls in our altars, two were baptized in Jesus' name on Sunday night! Prayer works!

Can I neglect to pray, while there is one who needs the help my prayers can bring?
- Mom's Bible

4 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

Kathy,
You make a good point about prayers being answered without our help. I am guilty of forgetting to pray for others requests at times. I want that to change, remembering they're need is as important to them, as mine is to me.
I've also given much thought to the idea that positive-praying will bring more-positive results. But like you say, the main thing is just pray!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Caroline,
I think the more prayers we see answered, the more faith we have to see more prayers answered!
So I definitely want to pray more!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Amen. Prayer changes things.

Kathy McElhaney said...

I don't even want to try living without prayer.

Verse of the Day