Several weeks ago we decided we would delay our Valentine celebration. Les was scheduled to preach Sunday morning and he had yesterday off for President's Day, so we thought a relaxing Monday would be just the ticket. Our original thoughts were to take Amtrak to Santa Barbara or Disney's California Adventure. As Phil the Groundhog predicted, we are having additional winter around here. We received over 2 1/2 inches of rain yesterday, so those outdoor adventures just weren't going to happen. I really don't like to be wet, miserable, and soggy, do you?
So what to do? How to spend a rainy day in Southern California?
Our first stop was IHOP for a late breakfast (almost 10:00). It is a rare day that we eat breakfast together, and even rarer that we eat breakfast at a restaurant. Cholesterol and fat counts were forgotten for a meal!
Driving in the pouring rain, we had a very fun exchange - "since there's nothing better to do, we might as well spend the day together." Of course it was said in jest, but then turned around, "there really is nothing better to do than spend the day together!"
We made our way to the Museum of Tolerance. Not exactly a "date" place, but we thought we would go there, then possibly go to Exposition Park to see some other museums. We never made it to Expo Park - there was just too much to see at the MOT. I'll write a complete post about it in the next day or so, but the highlight was listening to Holocaust Survivor, Gloria Ungar, speak for 45 minutes about her experiences during the Holocaust. Reading, listening, or seeing films about the Holocaust cannot compare to sitting 5 feet away from a woman who lost her entire family, save one brother, to the atrocities of Nazi Germany.
We spent about 4 hours at the MOT and were both emotionally spent. As Les put it, "the next time I think I'm having a bad day, I need to think about the Holocaust victims and survivors."
We finished the day at The Cheesecake Factory, and I can only imagine the number of calories we consumed! I had Louisiana Chicken Pasta and Les had Crusted Chicken Romano. We both ordered "Lunch Portions" and brought half of our meals home. Of course we had to save room for Key Lime Cheesecake! Our waitress was wonderful - Les asked how his chicken was prepared because it was so good - she went back to the chicken and came back and told us the entire recipe! I'll be trying that out at home in the near future!
It wasn't your typical romantic getaway, but we have a few of those planned in the next few months. But it's always a good day spending it with my best friend!
8 comments:
About three years ago I went to the Museum of Tolerance as extra credit for a Social Studies class at college. A very deep impression was left with me. Deep enough that last year I took my Grand-children. They could not believe the experience of history which they walked through that afternoon. Two of them went through the Holocaust Museum in D.C. at the end of last year while on an FFA trip.
Tolerance, in my opinion, is a very over used word. Also a word which I have found to be used in a aggressive manner when it comes to my stance on some given ideologies.
Mervi
Mervi,
My husband and I have also been to the Holocaust Museum in D.C., it was very moving. One of the things that always comes back to us is how people can be swayed by a powerful leader, especially in times of financial crises. Sounds a little too familiar to our current day, doesn't it?
I agree, "tolerance" has become a word that means let everyone do as they find right in their own eyes.
It seems like it was a well spent day. I myself have also been to the MOT. It was SUCH an amazing experience. I agree with what Brother McElhaney- When I THINK I'm having a bad day, I need to think about the Holocaust victims and survivors of such terror. I wish I had the experience of visiting the MOT in Washington D.C.... maybe soon :)
Well, I would spend my Valentine's Day like that as well with my future hubby! :)
Love you peep,
Chloee
oops... one more thing... That is ONE FUNNY PIC!!!!! hehe
Love,
Chloee
Hey Peep,
Glad you like the picture! If you can't be goofy with your Valentine, who can you be goofy with??
The MOT is amazing and the one in DC is absolutely incredible. We spent about 7 hours at the one in DC, it was very emotional.
Love the Lips:)I should get me a pair...LOL!!!
Those were from his cookie bouquet - they not only looked good, they tasted good... LOL
lol love the pixs!!!hehehe
lol
Post a Comment