Verse 9:
And Esau said, I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast unto thyself.
Verse 11 (Jacob speaking):
Take, I pray thee, my blessing that is brought to thee; because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough. And he urged him, and he took it.
The King James version uses the word "enough" in both places. However, the Hebrew words are different. Esau said, "I have much (rab)", while Jacob said, "I have everything (kol)." At this point, Esau may have had greater possessions, but Jacob knew that with the Lord, he had everything!
An old, old (ancient!) song that our choir in Fresno use to sing has been floating through my mind as I thought about "enough". I may not have all the words, but here's what I found on the Internet and they're pretty close to what I remember. (In my mind I hear Bro. Keith Layne singing the solo...)
Now there's always somebody talking 'bout me, really I don't mindMovie stars and famous athletes live not far from us. They drive their $100,000+ cars, park them in 6 car garages of multi-million dollar homes, with views of the ocean, guest houses, entertainment rooms, and entire staffs. To the world, they have it all, but without God, they just have much.
They always stop, and try to block my progress, most of the time!
But the mean things they say, they don't make me feel sad,
I can't lose a friend that I never had!
I've got the Lord! and that's enough, that's enough, that's enough!
He raised me! (that's enough!)
And he saved me! (that's enough!)
He bought me! (that's enough!)
He taught me! (that's enough!)
He's my keeper! (that's enough!)
He's my God! (that's enough!)
And I can feel Him walkin right by my side!
I've got the Lord (the Lord)
I've got the Lord (the Lord)
I've got the Lord (the Lord)
I've got the Lord (the Lord)
I've got the Lord! And that's enough, that's enough, that's enough!
So many times, when I didn't have a dime,
Couldn't call on nobody but the Lord!
You know He heard my plea, came to see about me,
He's my all in all!
Now when they pushed me down, He picked me up,
He stands by me when the going gets rough
I've got the Lord! and that's enough, that's enough, that's enough!
So which do you have? Much or everything?
2 comments:
In my God I have EVERYTHING, and that's more than ENOUGH.
And His supply NEVER runs out!
Post a Comment