Monday, January 19, 2009

Walking Through Doors that Open


Okay, this may be a bit long, hopefully not too rambling, but here goes...

Since I am now back to reading the book of Genesis, I pulled another one of Les' study books from shelf. This is another book by Henry M. Morris entitled "The Genesis Record." This is one of the thicker books on our shelf, over 700 pages. The first 300 pages deal with creation and the flood, then transition to Abram. At this point, Abram, Sarai, and Lot are in Canaan, but apparently living more or less as a nomads. I read the following last Friday night and it just jumped out at me.

"Although God has promised him the land, as well as a seed to inherit the land, this was not yet the time for the fulfillment of these promises; hence Abram was still forced to live by faith. God did, nevertheless, lead him day by day, so that neither he nor those with him lacked daily bread, guidance, and protection.

Such experiences are not unique to Abram, but are common to all those who seek to follow God's will. The promise often seems long delayed, and the believer must simply continue following day by day, trusting God and knowing that His timing is always right. In the meantime, until the opening of the larger door and the accomplishment of His specific and ultimate will in our lives, there are daily opportunities for service and witness wherever we are, and in whatever circumstances. There is still a testing time, when God must teach us patience and submission; and such a training often is long and slow. "He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much." (Luke 16:10)"


Whew! What a process - trusting and believing in God's timing! I remember being a teenager, then single young adult, waiting for "God's will" (translation: a man!) to be fulfilled in my life. Oh the innocence of youth. How little did I know about God's will. God's will isn't fulfilled the day you say "I Do." The will of God - doing a work for him - is a lifelong endeavor.

Take a walk down memory lane with me...

As a child I sang in the children's choir. At about 13, I worked in bus ministry, then at 15 became the bus ministry secretary (which at that time meant being at the church at 7:00 on Sunday morning, answering the phone and saying, "yes, the bus is coming"). A month before my 17th birthday I started working at the church after school, this ended up being a 10 year stint that led to being school secretary and later church bookkeeper. During those years I also taught Sunday school (loved my kindergarteners!), sang in the Youth Choir, Adult Choir, Youth Chorale, and a trio with two of my friends.

I'm not trying to brag about ME, but since I know me best, it was interesting as I looked back and thought of the various things I had done, never at the time thinking of them as God's Will for my life.

In 1991, I married my best friend - finally God's Will!!

Since our marriage, I have sung in the choir, directed the Children's Choir, played for the Adult Choir, directed the Youth Choir, and currently direct the Adult Choir. Les and I were Youth Leader and taught the Youth Class when we were first married. We take our turns cleaning the church. I've been involved with yard sales and serving food for the Ladies Department, and I have been guest teaching a little in the Youth Class for the past year and a half.

The first 8 years of our marriage were also very wrapped up in Bible Quizzing. Les was a quizzer, then coach before we were married. The Fall before we were married, Les was asked to become the district Bible Quiz coordinator. Our district saw incredible growth and success during those years, including several top 5 places at Nationals. We loved working with the young people in our district. We did that from 1991 until 1998 when Les decided it was time to go back to school to get his Masters in Business. While Les was applying for Masters programs, I asked the fateful question: "How are you going to go to school and continue with Bible Quizzing?" Since he was going to be a working student (working full time and going to school at night and/or Saturdays) it was time to say goodbye to Bible Quizzing.

Les was not accepted into the first MBA program he wanted, so he did not start school in the fall of 1998. We attended the NABQT in Greensboro, North Carolina in October 1998. We flew home on October 3rd and one week later Mom passed away. The next few months were a time of renewing for me. I didn't have anything to give. I was exhausted, both emotionally and physically. God knew that the hours we had given for quizzing were hours I would need for renewal. I did not backslide, or even question my faith at this time, I just needed rest.

So what does all this have to do with anything? Les' Bible lesson in the Adult Sunday school class was "A Ministry for Every Member". He was not necessarily talking about a pulpit ministry, but being involved in the kingdom, something all of us can do.

God's Will is not some mysterious objective that we spend years working towards, until the day we say "I've made it." I believe God's will changes as WE change. I would look pretty silly singing in the children's choir, but that was the will of God for me when I was eight. Even taking time away from duties can be the will of God at times (but don't make this permanent!) As stated above there are daily opportunities for service and witness wherever we are, and in whatever circumstances.

None of us have the same calling or ministry. As each of us are unique, so are our talents and gifts. I Corinthians 12:8 says, "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." I personally feel one of my gifts is "helps" - I don't always have to be in charge, I can stand in the background and "help" and feel that God is using me. When someone else gets the praise, I'm fine because I know I've done what God has asked of me.

If you know you have a specific calling, hold on to it, nourish the gift, learn everything you can about the direction you feel God is leading. But don't sit down and do nothing until that door opens, find daily opportunities. And don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to ANYONE else. If you are single today, wondering when God's Will is going to come your way, leave that to Him and find daily opportunities. If you're a stay at home mom, your daily opportunities are staring at you during breakfast! You have the opportunity to guide the lives of your children as no one else can. You also have daily opportunities with other parents.

What about people like me... middle agers? (Ouch! Did I really say that about myself?) There are still daily opportunities for us as well. In prayer the other night, I asked God to help me be open to His will. I feel like I am doing His will right now, but if that will changes next week, I want to be ready for it. I can't imagine directing the choir when I'm 70, but I'll still want to do His will - I wonder what that will be? I want to walk through doors that are open and not bang my head against those that are closed. If I live to be 90, that means I'm only about half way through the journey. I want to be a willing vessel no matter what. With my participation in choirs at every stage of life thus far, maybe I'll direct the nursing home choir...

There is so much to say on this topic, as my mind jumps from one thing to the next, but I will close this post with these words:

The present duty is the will of God.
-Mom's Bible

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Wonderful post, Kathy. Life (living for God) is definitely a "door" experience. It can be a rewarding one as you know - the key is to graciously enter new doors as God closes others. I didn't know that there could be so many doors in one house; however, they just keep coming. Seems the Lord always opens another for me to go through as He closes another.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,
It is so true that there is usually a new door already opening when I'm banging my head on the one that is closing.

Verse of the Day