Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm Picky!


I noticed this word on a blog the other day, and it really got me thinking. Picky, rhymes with icky. Must be a bad word. Maybe, maybe not.

Merriam Webster says:
Pronunciation: \ˈpi-kē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): pick·i·er; pick·i·est
Date: 1900

fussy, choosy (picky eater)
I will first confess that as a child I was a VERY picky eater. Rod and I were both terrible about eating. Poor Mom, she was always trying to get good food in us, but we'd just turn up our noses. I eventually grew out of most of my pickiness, but Rod continued eating chicken strips and little else for the rest of his life!

So picky, as in fussy, is not always good. But here are some areas that picky, as in choosy, is important:

My pastor - yep, I'm picky! I want a pastor that will preach the Word, even when he steps on my toes. I want a pastor that tells me I need to pray more, fast more, read the Bible, and reach out to souls. I want a pastor that pushes me out of my complacency. Thankfully, that's exactly what I have.

My mate - as a single girl there were quite a few years when I was told "you're too picky". So I wasn't engaged at 17 and married at 18 (not that there's anything wrong with that!). But God had a lot of work to do to get Les through college and a job offer in California! And He had a lot of work to do in my life, too. I wasn't ready to be married at 18 (even though I thought I was). The older I got, the pickier I became. I had waited 22 years, I could wait a few more for God's best. And that sweet guy I married? He was picky, too!

My friends - no, I'm not a snob, but I am choosy about my friends. I'm not talking about being in a clique, Pastor White covered that beautifully on Sunday morning. I would love to be everyone's best friend, but if you want to gossip about others or tear down my pastor, his wife, and our church - sorry, I'll love you and pray for you, but we probably won't be spending much leisure time together.

My clothes - I love a bargain as much as any girl. Like the time I got a cute pair of shoes, thought they were $10, but ended up getting them for $5. Yep, told everybody I knew! But that $7 skirt that shows every bulge, uh uh, no way. There is no bargain good enough for me to look immodest, just not going to work.

My reading - I am a total book freak, love to read. Sometimes I have to go on a "fiction fast" to make sure I balance my reading with God's word. But forget trashy novels. I have thrown books away many times, even "Christian" fiction that contained parts I found inappropriate. My criteria is simple, "would I loan this book to one of my friends at church?"
So now you know, I'm picky. Hope you don't think I'm being fussy, I just want my choices to be pleasing to God.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent "food" for an excellent life! We are all striving to be what God wants us to be, but we can not compromise to be that... so we must be careful/picky in life's journey.

I always knew there was a reason they made you teach chapel at TT.

LOVE YA!

Alicia said...

I can relate to you on being picky however when that word comes to mind I think of "picky eaters". Since I am a nanny I encounter with this all the time. Angelica is the picky eater, but Nate will try anything:) You should have seen his face when I had him try sushi... It was priceless:)

Caroline (Jane) said...

I'm not a picky eater, but I too am picky about all of the other things you mentioned!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to you peep... I'm picky in all the areas that you are. Those especially about friends. I always think of and use you as an example for me.You are one great woman :) *sniff sniff* :) I love you Peep!
Chloee

*p.s. Guess WHAT!! I got the new Ted Dekker book.. I couldn't wait!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yup yup yup...in all the areas you listed I am picky as well...except for the clothes part lol. I am for sure picky about my Pastor number one, and then my friends *cough...I am trying to get rid of my snobbish impression I seem to make on everyone hehe*, and of course my mate:) I luv ya!...and I also cannot wait till Chloee is done reading the book! It's something I can look forward to:)Chloee and I say "Hahaha 'rich' girls can buy the next Ted Dekker book Bro. McElhaney!" hehe :p
Your Peep,
Eli

Verse of the Day