Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Origin Story

Why did you start your blog? Is that still why you blog, or has your site gone in a different direction than you’d planned?

I spent quite a bit of time re-reading my earliest posts.  My first post said, "I have been blog stalking (blalking?) for the past couple of months, enjoying the posts, and thinking of things I might say if I had a blog... To those bloggers that have been at it a while, you are stronger (I won't call you bigger!) and superior to I. I will strive to reach your level in humor, wisdom, family events and fun! But for now, here's my first post."

It was my next two posts that gave it purpose.  Memories and Mom's Bible.  There are nearly 100 posts that contain something from or about Mom's Bible.  Nothing new has been written in the margins or inside cover pages in almost 19 years, but I'm always finding nuggets (just like the actual words of the Bible.)

I wrote this about Mom's Bible, "She received this particular Bible for her 47th birthday, January 1, 1987, and it was the final Bible she carried. This contains her thoughts during an eight year battle with cancer and the loss of her youngest son, Rod. While that was obviously the most difficult time in her life, the notes and thoughts are constantly positive and uplifting."

Without realizing it at the time, I believe the direction of my blog was set with this statement:  "The notes and thoughts are constantly positive and uplifting."  In the past nine years our life has taken many unexpected turns, but it has always been my desire for this blog to be positive and uplifting.

I've added some things as my blog has grown.  As my Friday Foodie collection grew I added a page with links to each recipe.  I also have pages dedicated to Running, Family, Trips, and my study of Women of the Word.

As I'm reviving this blog, I'd love to know.... is there anything you'd like to read more of here?

4 comments:

Cyndi Kaye said...

I enjoy your recaps on messages or bible lessons you've heard. And your personal notes of how you related to the message.

jennifer lord said...

I love all that you post but Mom's Bible is so special to me. I love her simple but weighty words.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thank you. Mom's Bible sits on my computer desk, always handy when I need a word.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thank you. I've been lazy lately both in taking and posting message notes. They help me, too!

Verse of the Day