As I mentioned yesterday, I strive to keep it positive here on my blog. I dread confrontation, even if I know I'm right. I don't like to put people on the defensive. I prefer to live peaceably with all men. I've received a few negative comments through the years (all anonymous, of course!) I have chosen not to respond. What would be the purpose? If someone feels the need to tear me apart, that doesn't change who I am. Yes, it hurts, but fighting back won't make me feel better.
So... I am not following today's prompt! It goes against what I want my blog to be. I might post something that people don't agree with, but it is never my intention to be disagreeable. Didn't we just survive the most divisive election season? Ugh, no, I'm not going there. I'm re-posting something I wrote six years ago. Key sentences from that post are:
This blog is my stone... Since this is my blog, I'll share my blond moments, but not my bad moments.
This is the complete post titled "Written in Sand or Stone?"
I read an interesting article in the most recent Weight Watchers magazine. The topic was social media and how it affects us. The main focus was on Facebook, but blogs and tweets were also mentioned. One quote that really caught my attention was:
Beware of Boast PostsThis made me question my blog. Am I hurting someone's self-esteem with my posts? That is the last thing I want to do. Part of my profile says, "my hope for this blog is to be an encouragement and a blessing, or maybe just bring a smile on a dreary day."
Too many chirpy status updates from a virtual friend can hurt your self-esteem, says Alex Jordan, PhD, a psychologist at Dartmouth College's Tuck School of Business in Hanover, NH. If your friend's posts prove more demoralizing than motivating, unfriend her fast.
I don't post when I'm having a bad day. This isn't my "venting place." Some may think I am sugar-coating my life or not keeping it real. I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams, but let me just clarify:
- I am human.
- I am a Female human.
- I have bad days.
- I don't always want to run or ride my bike or eat healthy.
- I need to pray and read my Bible more than I do.
- I need to mop my kitchen floor (really bad!)
- I have piles of laundry every week.
- At least one load will be full of smelly running and cycling clothes.
- If you cut me I will bleed.
- If you say something mean to me, I will (hopefully) bite my tongue and walk away.
- And hurt, and possibly cry about it later.
Two friends were walking through the desert. During some point of the journey they had an argument, and one friend slapped the other one in the face. The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything,wrote in the sand:This blog is my stone. When someone hurts me, I won't be writing it here. My hope is not to make others unhappy with their own lives, but to be an encouragement. If you know me, you know I've buried my dear brother and my godly mother. My life is not, nor has ever been, perfect. I want to learn from hurts and mistakes, but not dwell on them.
"Today my best friend slapped me in the face."
They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to take a bath. The one, who had been slapped, got stuck in the mire and started drowning, but the friend saved him. After the friend recovered from the near drowning, he wrote on a stone:
"Today my best friend saved my life."
The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone, why?"
The other friend replied: "When someone hurts us, we should write it down in sand where winds of forgiveness can erase it away. But, when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."
Learn to write your hurts in the sand, and to carve your benefits in stone.
~ Author Unknown
One of my greatest possessions is Mom's Bible. She received it on her 47th birthday ~ my current age (my current age is 53, but I was 47 when I first posted this.) She carried it until her death. It was this Bible that she carried during an 8 year battle with cancer and the loss of Rod. I know of some very hurtful things that were said to her during those years. I know she was very sick. At times she was discouraged. But I counted the many sayings and quotations written inside the covers of her Bible. There are nearly 100 of them. There are only a few that mention her cancer. Written in the stone of Mom's Bible are:
- A smile can brighten someone's day.
- Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its strength.
- HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT.
- I can see to the corner, but God sees around the corner... don't worry (from Sis. Mary Coursey)
- I'm a Happy Camper
- Lately I've got Leavin' on my mind.
- Prayer is the Christian's mightiest weapon.
- Gratitude is a seasoning for all seasons.
- Not the greatness of our troubles, but the littleness of our spirit makes us complain.
- Every miracle begins with an impossibility.
- One who uses the Bible as his guide never loses his sense of direction.
- 4-27-90 - Black day for me - but God is in charge. Cancer is not too hard for my God.
- Dec. 3, 1996 - Bone cancer - arms, legs, spine, pelvis - I need God.
I'll close this post with one more quote from Mom's Bible:
Repeat to yourself and store in memory some good thought everyday.What are you writing in stone?
Look for something beautiful everyday, no matter where you are.
Do something kind and helpful for someone everyday.
1 comment:
Your blog has always been one of my favorites for this reason! I love the encouraging tone. I also love the wisdom you share from Sis. Fultz's Bible. Thank you:)
Post a Comment