Last Sunday morning as Les was finalizing his lesson he re-read many of the posts I have written about Rod. I was upstairs when he came in laughing. The laughter came from one of the comments on my first post about Rod called "My Hero." Pastor Larry Montano left quite a comment, but this part is what had Les laughing so hard:
Then he would turn around do something goofy like complimenting the meatloaf we were eating....We have laughed about that all week. Especially each time we had a piece of Les' birthday "meatloaf!"
"But that's not meatloaf Rod! That's my wife's chocolate cake!"
Rod had a unique sense of humor. I'm sure all his friends have stories of their own. I still wonder how he did it some times. He lived in so much pain, but he never lost his ability to laugh and make others around him laugh with him. Larry also said, "Rod was the quickest, brightest wit I've ever known in my life. His was classy wit, not the sophomoric type that was cruel or demeaning. His wit was the type that would catch you so off-guard that you wouldn't realize he had just "got you", until he was well out of range." Kids loved him because he was an overgrown kid himself!
In honor of Rod we ate real meatloaf this week, too. I've posted this before using ground turkey, I used ground beef this time. The key ingredient is barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce or ketchup.
Meatloaf
1 lb. ground beef (96% fat free)
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce, divided
1 pkg. meatloaf seasoning or onion soup mix
HEAT oven to 375°F.
PLACE meat, bread crumbs, water, eggs, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce in bowl, and seasoning mix.
MIX just until blended.
**If you have time, place the mix in the refrigerator for a few hours to the let the seasonings blend before baking.
SHAPE into loaf in baking dish.
TOP with remaining barbecue sauce.
Bake 1 hour or until done (160ºF).



No comments:
Post a Comment