Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dad's Trains


There were several memories shared of Dad's love for trains at his service last week. These are just a few of the many trains he built throughout years. He built a track that was tall enough that he could stand and work on the trains.  Unfortunately, when his back problems began, his train building came to a halt.






I learned from one of his "train buddies" that Dad was one of the original customers of Tom's Trains in Fresno. It opened in 1968, when I was only four years old so Tom's has always been part of my life. I remember many Saturdays Dad saying, "I'm going to Tom's for a magazine." He often would be gone for several hours!



Dad loved the actual building and painting part. Often Tom would recommend Dad to others who would pay him to paint for them. This allowed him to buy trains of his own without cutting into the family budget.



Even as a child I knew these weren't toys... at least not toys children could play with! 


2 comments:

Marc Adrian Smith said...

Wow, that's cool. That's kind of what I'm trying to build but finding out it's an expensive hobby. But I imagine a fun one.

Kathy McElhaney said...

It is an expensive habit, I think that's why it was still a work in progress after more than 40 years!

Verse of the Day