Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Smiling During Losses

I saw this picture on Sarrah Dillon's blog the other day:


It is from a Bible Quiz Tournament this year ~ Fresno vs. Rialto. I left a comment that said, "I have a picture of two of those fellas when they were Junior Quizzers themselves and my brother was their coach. I carry it in my Bible and it always makes me smile." Here is that picture from 20 years ago:

Coaches ~ David May and Rod, Quizzers ~ Kari, Rachel, Josiah, David and Caleb.

It reminded me of something Les use to tell the quizzers we coached. "People should not be able to tell if you won or lost by the expression on your face." In other words, if you win don't gloat and if you lose don't fall apart!

Have you ever seen someone who smiles no matter what is going on in their life? They've been through losses ~ the loss of a loved one, a job, a friendship ~ but they carrying on with such peace and joy. They've also experienced blessing, but they don't allow the blessings to change who they are.

The key is where we place our hope. When our hope is in Him, the storms of life can blow but we can smile knowing He is in control. Psalm 146:5 says "Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:" Romans 15:13 says "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost."

We can be happy and abound in hope when the God of Jacob is our hope.

3 comments:

Sandi Dillon said...

Thanks for the pics -- memory lane, here I come.

Stephanie said...

You know, those pesky little boys didn't turn out half bad after all. ;-)

Juanita said...

I looked at each one....trying to guess if they won or lost. Half said win half said loose. Josiah was the tie breaker but he hid....How funny!!! Oh well they were always winners to me. Led by the winner himself...Rod!
It's hard to believe that was nearly twenty years ago. Thanks for the smile today!

Verse of the Day