Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Divers Places

I saw a headline this morning that read "Oklahomans ask: What's causing these quakes?" A record 5.6 quake hit on November 5th. As of Monday, the area had seen 22 quakes of magnitude 3 or greater since the record quake and more than 200 smaller aftershocks. Geologists are trying to figure it out. Some Oklahomans are blaming the oil wells that have been drilled for decades.

I'm a native Californian. The place with "all those earthquakes." So I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. But the thought that immediately came to my mind was, "earthquakes, in divers places." The words of Jesus in Matthew 24:7. Japan, Chile, Haiti, Turkey, Colorado, Oklahoma, Virginia ~ it doesn't get any more divers than that.

Man spends so much time trying to figure out why things happen on this earth, forgetting that the One Who created all this with His Word, can shake things up just as easily. No, I don't care for earthquakes, and I'd probably freak out completely if a tornado came our way, but I trust the One Who causes the earth to tremble. I want to do what Jesus said a little further on in Matthew chapter 24, "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.
~Ira Stanphill

Verse of the Day