Beware of Boast PostsThis made me question my blog. Am I hurting someone's self-esteem with my posts? That is the last thing I want to do. Part of my profile says, "my hope for this blog is to be an encouragement and a blessing, or maybe just bring a smile on a dreary day."
Too many chirpy status updates from a virtual friend can hurt your self-esteem, says Alex Jordan, PhD, a psychologist at Dartmouth College's Tuck School of Business in Hanover, NH. If your friend's posts prove more demoralizing than motivating, unfriend her fast.
I don't post when I'm having a bad day. This isn't my "venting place." Some may think I am sugar-coating my life or not keeping it real. I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams, but let me just clarify:
- I am human.
- I am a Female human.
- I have bad days.
- I don't always want to run or ride my bike or eat healthy.
- I need to pray and read my Bible more than I do.
- I need to mop my kitchen floor (really bad!)
- I have piles of laundry every week.
- At least one load will be full of smelly running and cycling clothes.
- If you cut me I will bleed.
- If you say something mean to me, I will (hopefully) bite my tongue and walk away.
- And hurt, and possibly cry about it later.
Two friends were walking through the desert. During some point of the journey they had an argument, and one friend slapped the other one in the face. The one who got slapped was hurt, but without saying anything,wrote in the sand:This blog is my stone. When someone hurts me, I won't be writing it here. My hope is not to make others unhappy with their own lives, but to be an encouragement. If you know me, you know I've buried my dear brother and my godly mother. My life is not, nor has ever been, perfect. I want to learn from hurts and mistakes, but not dwell on them."Today my best friend slapped me in the face."
They kept on walking until they found an oasis, where they decided to take a bath. The one, who had been slapped, got stuck in the mire and started drowning, but the friend saved him. After the friend recovered from the near drowning, he wrote on a stone:"Today my best friend saved my life."
The friend who had slapped and saved his best friend asked him, "After I hurt you, you wrote in the sand and now, you write on a stone, why?"
The other friend replied: "When someone hurts us, we should write it down in sand where winds of forgiveness can erase it away. But, when someone does something good for us, we must engrave it in stone where no wind can ever erase it."
Learn to write your hurts in the sand, and to carve your benefits in stone.
~ Author Unknown
One of my greatest possessions is Mom's Bible. She received it on her 47th birthday ~ my current age. She carried it until her death. It was this Bible that she carried during an 8 year battle with cancer and the loss of Rod. I know of some very hurtful things that were said to her during those years. I know she was very sick. At times she was discouraged. But I counted the many sayings and quotations written inside the covers of her Bible. There are nearly 100 of them. There are only a few that mention her cancer. Written in the stone of Mom's Bible are:
- A smile can brighten someone's day.
- Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its strength.
- HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT.
- I can see to the corner, but God sees around the corner... don't worry (from Sis. Mary Coursey)
- I'm a Happy Camper
- Lately I've got Leavin' on my mind.
- Prayer is the Christian's mightiest weapon.
- Gratitude is a seasoning for all seasons.
- Not the greatness of our troubles, but the littleness of our spirit makes us complain.
- Every miracle begins with an impossibility.
- One who uses the Bible as his guide never loses his sense of direction.
- 4-27-90 - Black day for me - but God is in charge. Cancer is not too hard for my God.
- Dec. 3, 1996 - Bone cancer - arms, legs, spine, pelvis - I need God.
I'll close this post with one more quote from Mom's Bible:
Repeat to yourself and store in memory some good thought everyday.What are you writing in stone?
Look for something beautiful everyday, no matter where you are.
Do something kind and helpful for someone everyday.
11 comments:
"This blog is my stone. When someone hurts me, I won't be writing it here."
Very well said.
And as a non-exerciser, slightly overweight Momma, your healthy and athletic posts don't bother me a bit :)
I really enjoy reading your blog. It's defintitly been encouraging, uplifting, and fun. I've copied and forwarded your posts to my family and friends many times.
You're my morning read - the 2nd or 3rd thing I do once I peruse calendars, answer emails and make sure all bosses are in the right place at the right time.
Please continue being you and sharing your life, your thoughts and God's truth with us! = )
Thanks for saying your floors need to be mopped...that made me feel better about mine! Who knew confessing an un-mopped floor could bring a feeling of kinship a few miles up the road? :-D
More than a few times, one of your posts have "made my day". I look forward to reading them every morning! ;-)
Thanks y'all. Your kind comments, friendship and encouragement means so much.
And Stephanie, my kitchen floor has now been mopped. No pressure to follow suit...
I swiftered my floor today too!!! LOL! AND i like this post...too many people are using thier blog as a DIARY!!!!! LOL!
Mary,
I had a diary when I was about 12 ~ I would be humiliated if anyone read it now!! I never want to post something that I will look back later and be embarrassed about it.
I love your positive, sunny outlook on life and that you choose to share that on here. Yes, sometimes I covet the food you put up, but you're even nice enough to include the recipe. :)
Great post, Sis. McElhaney! That is so precious that you have your mom's Bible. Thank you for sharing some of the things she wrote in it. That was a blessing to me. I feel the same way about my blog.(although I don't have as much time to blog as I used to)I want it to be a place of encouragement and not something I will look back on with embarrassment. Just for the record, my kitchen floor is definitely dirty more than it is clean, and I often have days where my laundry runneth over. LOL I appreciate you!
Sis. Connell
HAHA!!! I have diarys too from when I was a teenager...there pretty funnny!!! I use them for entertainment with my friends when we are bored I read from them at parties...JUST the funny stuff!!!
I have to say that your blog is a great encouragement. In fact, it has prompted me more than I can mention to get up and go hit the gym. (The gym since I do not have a lovely hill to climb and I am sure the pollution would cancel the benefits of the run!) I think that any readers who believe that everything you post is everything that is happening in your life, well, they are simply deluded! Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment