Thursday, September 15, 2011

An Extraordinary Trip

I receive a Quote of the Day from Runner's World everyday. It is usually one or two sentences. I received this one earlier this week. It says so much and it can be applied to more than just running:
Most people never get there. They're afraid or unwilling to demand enough of themselves and take the easy road, the path of least resistance.

But struggling and suffering, as I now saw it, were the essence of a life worth living.

If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not constantly demanding more from yourself—expanding and learning as you go—you're choosing a numb existence.

You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip.

~ Dean Karnazes
Is your life a numb existence or an extraordinary trip? What's keeping you back?

3 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

I greatly admire this quote. I am pondering it still.

I've been down with this bad ?cold? but am preparing my heart to BE A RUNNER. No, seriously. I just downloaded a 13-week beginner program from runstrong.org and I think for safety will take that even slower, perhaps. I'm excited about
(a) feeling back to my old self again
and then
(b) becoming a runner.

Any tips?!

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Dibble,
First of all ~ you are already on an extraordinary trip! Missionaries are at the top of my list of highly admired people.

As for the running, just under my header photo is a list of "Pages" ~ there is one called "Running, Anyone?" and it has several links about my journey in becoming a runner. I've been at it for 15 years, but it was only about 3 years ago that I started calling myself a runner.

#1 tip ~ keep track of your miles. This will motivate you and will also let you know when you need to replace your shoes. Worn out shoes will set you up for injury.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Fantastic! Thank you so much. It's several days after your reply to my question about tips. Tomorrow I begin my first week of walking... and I am a POWER walker. However, I will pace myself and just go with the wind at my back.

Sure miss my dog, though...

Verse of the Day