Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Do You Remember?


Do you remember when there were numerous department stores in town? In Fresno we had Gottschalks, Weinstock's, JC Penney, and Sears. Eventually Macy's came along. Other parts of California had May Company, Bullock's, J.W. Robinson, Dillard's and The Broadway.


Our mall now has two department stores ~ Macy's and Macy's. At one end of the mall is Macy's Women's store and at the other end is Macy's Men's and Home store. That seems to be the case in many of the malls in our area. With an occasional Nordstrom thrown in for those with a little more cash to burn than I.


Do you also remember when those department stores had departments? You know, you were looking for a dress for a special occasion, so you went to Gottschalks and walked directly to the Dress department where awaited you racks of dresses. Same thing if you wanted a suit or a skirt or a blouse. That's why they were called department stores.


Now, trying to find a dress (or other particular item) in a department store is a lost cause. The departments in department stores are no longer by department, they are by designer. (I guess Donna Karan doesn't want Liz Claiborne's stuff touching hers.) So you spend a bunch of time wandering from one department to the other, hoping to find a dress tucked away here or there. I usually find one, but then I realized I'm standing in the Woman's part of the Jones New York department and the sizes aren't gonna work for me!


The only purpose of this post is to ask ~ do you remember? And do you like stores better now or how they use to be?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I ever remember! Shopping is not the same these days....you almost have to become a boutique fan....department stores just don't have it anymore. The Macy's in Bakersfield looks like a bargain basement most of the time.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Do you remember when there wasn't something on sale everyday?? I think Macy's has certain areas (departments?) for overpriced items that are then greatly reduced.

Girly Muse said...

I rarely go in a department store, just not a big shopper at ALL...and if I do go shopping, I'd just as soon run in TJ Maxx or Marshall's.
I do like Macy's, but do NOT like how some malls have them divided. It's not like that here, but is in Arkansas, which is when I usually take the time to go shopping. Confuses me every time. Doesn't take much. ha ;)

Kathy McElhaney said...

I think it has a lot to do with where you live. I use to love TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross, but I rarely find anything there now. Or maybe I'm just too impatient! I want something really cool and inexpensive to jump out at me as soon as I walk in the door!

Cyndi Kaye said...

Shopping - hmmm - I hardly step foot into a mall or department store. Sometimes I go into TJMax, Marshall's or Target. But I mostly like to buy fabric and have Mena make me something that fits well and is my style. = )

Verse of the Day