Thursday, May 20, 2010

WDYC 1984 - Philippine Islands

If you have ever heard Elder Morton talk about his trip to the Philippines, it was this trip in 1984. While our group went to Cebu, his group went to Mindanao. It was there that he met the man with the "revival" spirit. His car was his "revival car," his wife was his "revival wife" with his "revival kids" because he went to a "revival church!" The Philippine Islands were having a great revival at that time and we were blessed to see over 750 receive the Holy Ghost in the nine days we were there!


The island of Cebu is south of Manila. Cebu City is the first Spanish settlement and the oldest in the country. After being gone from home for about a week, we were starting to get a little tired...


But things started picking up when we dined at a Chinese restaurant...



Some Youth Corps members were braver than others...


We drank the best milk shakes on the planet at our hotel. We also saw beautiful beaches...


And learned the "Peace" sign is universal...


The most memorable experience was the day we had our "Alay Lakad." This started with a time of tract distribution and people willingly took what we handed them! Our huge stacks were gone in what seemed like seconds...


The local pastor and his wife, Bro. Willy Majaducon


We then gathered our signs for a 4 mile walk in the tropical heat...


At the end, we had a street service....



Followed by service that evening...


The lovely lady on the organ is none other than Sis. Cathy Clark.


And then, before we were ready, it was time to leave...


We flew from the Philippines to Hawaii. This is about a 10 hour flight and you would have thought everyone would sleep, but the pictures in my album reveal otherwise! I will not post them here, because I want to remain friends with some people!!

We then received a traditional Hawaiian lei greeting in Honolulu...


And tried to find all our luggage for our two day stay there...


We set out from our hotel to find something "American" to eat. Eight blocks later we were at Taco Bell!!

While we enjoyed being in Hawaii, we saw Pearl Harbor and did some shopping, I was so ready to go home! I think I called home about 5 times in those two days. I kept thinking of things I wanted Mom and Dad to bring to the airport (we were flying into San Francisco and they were picking me up).



Mom brought chocolate chip cookies to the airport - nothing had ever tasted better!! It took days to get over the jet lag, but I've never forgotten the love and beautiful spirits of the Filipino people!

3 comments:

Girly Muse said...

I love seeing all these pictures!!! Love trips like this that you never EVER forget...such a special time.

Mary Frances said...

HAHAHA! YUP! Filipinos LOVE the peace sign!

Meagan Rowell said...

Wow Sis. Kathy!!! I know I'm commenting on this a few months late lol but I decided to look at your posts tagged "missions"... Bro Clark is my pastor! I was laughing so hard right now when I saw Bro Clark playing the guitar and Sis Clark playing the organ (like usual and I'm sure it was soo beautiful! :) lol) I am going to have to save that picture on my computer! Probably going to show it to my Uncle Jeffrey & Auntie Kristy (the Clarks daughter).

Verse of the Day