Before we ever set foot on foreign soil, we had choir practice on the airplane!

In 1984 Hong Kong was still part of the British Empire, the flag you see flying is the Hong Kong flag before it became part of the Republic of China in 1997.

Riding the Peak Tram in Hong Kong


Doing a little shopping and site seeing...


Hong Kong Harbor, home to boat people...

and a floating restaurant...

We enjoyed those couple of days, getting use to the significant time change. But now we were ready for Manila!
This is the Headquarters Church:





On our first Sunday in Manila our group was divided into smaller groups and we hit many churches in and around Manila. This is the group I was with...

On our way to church, I started questioning everyone. Do you sing? Do you preach or play an instrument? Somehow I had ended up with a very shy group! I took it upon myself to organize everyone to testify and I sang. If you know me now, you aren't surprised. But if you had known me back then you would have been shocked! I was definitely out of my comfort zone and being stretched!!

I have no idea what I sang!

This church was about a year old and already had over 100 members! They definitely blessed us more than we blessed them.
We did lots of site seeing and SHOE shopping!! I loved the shoes in the PI because they had an abundance in my size - size 5! We also saw a lot of history from World War II. Including a very large cemetery for American soldiers.


Our last service in Manila


Saying goodbye to new friends


Best of all, our jeepney driver received the Holy Ghost!

We weren't done with the Philippines yet! After five days in Manila, our group was split in two with half going to the island of Cebu and the others going to the island of Mindanao. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow...
6 comments:
I love seeing the old clothing styles and hairdos. All the ruffles and puffed sleeves. =)
I've been laughing at our hairstyles!
I've been enjoying "traveling" with you. OH how I long to go on a missions trip!!
I, too, am loving to see the old clothing styles and how some of them are stylish right now! :)
The tenth picture down from the top--- is that the headquarters church in Manila? Totally looks like it from when we went last year! Yeah...this is really cool though gettin to see all your travels!
Mary,
Yep, that's the Headquarters church. We had 3 or 4 services there.
Oh cool! I knew it! I TOTALLY reconized it! Looks almost EXACTLEY the same after all these years!
Post a Comment